Light-O-Rama Forums

Snowflakes in Motion

mcorbo

beeiilll wrote:

Orville wrote:

Well I hope he succeeds beeiill. I'd definitely love to have about 3 dozen of them for my display! Although I'd prefer they were LED(or are/were they LED?) and STATIC as opposed to having a controller on them. Since for our use a static one we control would be much better than having to use 100% on all the time for them.

But either way, I still would love to be able to buy a few dozen of them!

They are (were) incandescent bulbs on the original ones since LEDs were not around much when he had the first run done.
They are also static without any controller on them. They just had a flasher bulb you could put in to make them blink.

Interesting. I thought they may have had some kind of electronic controller on them since the flash rate in the video was so slow. And I heard and saw in the description that they "come with their own controller", so I was thinking it was some type of electronic controller with a knob to increase or decrease the speed of the flashing of the snowflake.

So if just a flasher bulb is what they are calling a controller, that would be perfect for LOR use.

Now I really want some of these snowflakes!

Too bad no one else has ever made anything like them. They do look great,

Again, sure hope he is able to bring them back so I can get some!

• 2 years later...

In case anyone stumbles across this thread...I just finished upgrading 18 of these Snowflakes in Motion decorations to warm white LED, so I can tell you how it went....I used 50 ct Warm White LED strings with green wire that I had.  I didn't buy special strings with white wire.  They may look better in the daytime that way, but at night I don't think it matters...

I was determined to do this upgrade, so nothing held me back....But it was a lot of work....For example....

The existing white strings are custom built.  They are made to minimize extra wire, so that it looks neat and clean.  Your new LED strings will not have this look and will be messier.  But, it will be dark when they are in use.  The holes in the snowflakes are smaller than your new LEDs will require. Too bad because they have those nice built-in grippers for the bulbs.

Unfortunately, drilling will be necessary for the new bulbs to fit.  We used a reamer with 5 or 6 flutes and that worked out well.  A drill bit with only two flutes may grab and crack the plastic. Once reamed out to the proper diameter, the new lights will fit.  Of course, I discovered that Chinese-made Christmas light bulbs are not all the same diameter.  So some fit well and others didn't.  That led to the next unplanned step...

I had to apply hot glue to each bulb on the rear to keep them in place. Of course, there will be two left over LED bulbs on each snowflake.  I applied black tape and a tie wrap over those to keep them invisible...

My snowflakes had been in use for a few years and had yellowed.  So I started the process with a fresh coat of white Fusion paint.  They looked very nice....Then the reaming of each hole, Then I put in the LED bulbs and glued them as I went.  Then I tie wrapped the excess tail wire to the rear and also tie wrapped the plug in place for support...

I think they turned out very well, but it was a bit of work....

Anyone need some old incandescent Snowflake in Motion light strings?    :)

post-30-0-04933400-1414074997_thumb.jpg

Edited by Randy
  • Like 2

Randy,

I did the same thing you did back in 2010 with 16 of them but did them in cool white. I too drilled holes and hot glued each bulb in their place and formed the wire to be hidden behind the snowflake.

Wasn't too bad as I recall. And they are still holding up just as well today.

Here are pics of mine from the old house, then the new house.

DSC01994_zps8d5242c9.jpg

DSC02001_zps82a1caea.jpg

DSC02003_zps4e0401db.jpg

DSC02156_zps4b8a5df0.jpg

DSC02160_zpsc7027d1d.jpg

DSC04998_zpsaaa86569.jpg

IMG_3283_zps18611f83.jpg

IMG_3269_zpsa57a5bd2.jpg

And like you, I too have all the old ican strands they came with them, especially made for the snowflake design/shape.

Edited by Santas Helper

You will get my case of unused SIM when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

MINE!  ALL MINE!!!

Muhahahahahahahha!!!!   :P  :P :P

• Like 1

You will get my case of unused SIM when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

MINE!  ALL MINE!!!

Muhahahahahahahha!!!!   :P  :P :P

I have an extra case too that I feel this way about. :D

I have an extra case too that I feel this way about. :D

I invite you both over to my house with your SIM cases in hand. I "WILL" pry those fingers. B)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...