Light-O-Rama Forums

Next years arches

Ted W

My first year doing this and already planning next year. Guess I am hooked. I saw some neat videos of arches that I cannot figure out how they did it. The lights apprear to be flowing instead of jumping from one set of lights to the next. They actually appeared to have a tail that moved as the light made its way along the arch.

How did they do that?

dstevens wrote:

They probably used fades to give the tail effect that you saw.

+1 I only used fades on a couple of my sequences this year on my arches, man, its sooo much nicer, I'm also going to try the dryer vent I bought but never used this year, see if that helps vs redoing my sequences

Correct, it is all fades. If you make the fade long, you get a tail effect.

On the topic of making arches, make sure you study these threads for a great technique for constructing them:

Ted Workman wrote:

My first year doing this and already planning next year. Guess I am hooked. I saw some neat videos of arches that I cannot figure out how they did it. The lights apprear to be flowing instead of jumping from one set of lights to the next. They actually appeared to have a tail that moved as the light made its way along the arch.

How did they do that?

Yes it's fades, I use fades when I do my arches as well.

Not all my sequences use it, and some don't have the arches in them at all. But if you'd like to see how it's done using the fades, feel free to download any of my Halloween and/or Christmas Sequences from here:

http://cid-7d6d47dfa1c635ae.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?page=browse&resid=7D6D47DFA1C635AE!1240&type=6&Bsrc=EMSHGM&Bpub=SN.Notifications

Most of my sequences are in tracks except for the 2010 ones. But if you load one with tracks, look for the section labeled arches.

I use 4, 3-channel Coro Baby Sidewalk Arches that I bought from Holidaycoro.com about a year or so ago. Unfortunately I don't believe David offers these any longer, but if you look at my sequences you can see how this effect was done.

Also have videos here that show the effects:

http://vimeo.com/groups/109696

Have fun and Good Luck with your arches!