Light-O-Rama Forums

Buzz box?

Champion Sound Entertainment

I had half a strand go out on one of my structures and I'm trying to figure whats the best way to fix my Incan sign. Do they still make buzz boxes? Will it help me even if no bulb is broken?

De Trommelslager wrote:

Is this what you are looking for?

I actually saw a box if those for sale at lowes but I thought it was just for removing/replacing bulbs I'll pick one up tomorrow and try it out.

Thanks!

You might want to think about a Lightkeeper Pro. You may be able to pick these up at Home Depot, Lowes, and possibly Target this time of year. Home Depot had them earlier in the season.

I think the Lightkeeper Pro has the a feature that is similar to a buzz box, and it also has some other feature that are nice, include a function that helps find that bad bulb.

It doesn't work well with LED strings though, and the buzz box feature will ruin a LED string.

Jerry

This time of year, the LightKeeper Pro is the best tool in my toolbox. This tool has saved me countless hours of bulb swapping to find a dead bulb, socket or wire.

Believe me you won't regret the purchase. It's a Christmas light enthusiast's must have.:)

It doesn't work well with LED strings though, and the buzz box feature will ruin a LED string

If you are talking about the 'Quick fix trigger', it can also ruin LOR controllers. So if you use the 'Quick fix trigger' then disconnect the light from the controller first.

vincerules wrote:

I ordered one a few weeks ago from here
http://www.rileighsdecor.com/minilights.htm
You have to call them, but they are nice and quick. Got it in a few days. Works great! Fixed my mini trees in no time!

That is where I got mine. I use mine weekly to repair lights out on arches and such.

kzaas wrote:

This time of year, the LightKeeper Pro is the best tool in my toolbox. This tool has saved me countless hours of bulb swapping to find a dead bulb, socket or wire.

Believe me you won't regret the purchase. It's a Christmas light enthusiast's must have.:)

It doesn't work well with LED strings though, and the buzz box feature will ruin a LED string

If you are talking about the 'Quick fix trigger', it can also ruin LOR controllers. So if you use the 'Quick fix trigger' then disconnect the light from the controller first.

I use one of these and it has saved me tons of time... I've only had one strand of icicle it hasn't been able to fix.

I've always used mine with the channel on 100% and use the trigger with no effects on the controller. Maybe I've been lucky. I can certainly see how it might be bad for the controller.

Nurples wrote:

kzaas wrote:

I use one of these and it has saved me tons of time... I've only had one strand of icicle it hasn't been able to fix.

I've always used mine with the channel on 100% and use the trigger with no effects on the controller.  Maybe I've been lucky.  I can certainly see how it might be bad for the controller.

So I picked one up and I can't find a bad bulb but I found a section of wire that doesn't beep. How can I fix it? I have the lights in a display and it's been working last couple days and I went to check out the display last night and half the strand isn't lighting up (it's one of those 100 light Incan strands) any ideas on how to fix?

There are two types of light testers: the Lightkeeper Pro (about $25) and a professional buzz box type (about $120). I have both, but the real buzz box always finds the bad lights, even multiples. It won't do icecicles or LED though.

Strings of 100 incandescent lights can be cut in half and work just fine for quick repairs; just find the cord between the two middle lights that have only TWO wires and cut that. Heat shrink over the end you don't use and put a 120v male plug on the other. Make sure you don't have two male plugs on the same string.

As a temporary fix, just zip tie the new 50 light string on top of the old broken one.

Buzz box type of tester: http://www.expresslightbulbs.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=73_77&products_id=1492

I bought mine from All American Christmas Co. http://www.aachristmas.com/vpasp/shopexd.asp?id=618

Yes, it's expensive, but it has paid for itself twice over.

Wanna see how it works? http://www.aachristmas.com/vpasp/shopexd.asp?id=618