Light-O-Rama Forums

Trouble with the mega tree wizard

tonyski

Greetings all. Heavy rain in Atlanta so no show tonight.
I thought I'd play around with the new visualizer and have hit a road block.

I click on the mega tree wizard, then click on the stage, and the wizard box opens
I name it, enter a size, choose 360 degree tree, choose up and over, first bundle location = left, number of bundles = 24, density = 1, un-check the counter clockwise box and choose strings. Then I use the bottom slider to position bundle 1 at the 12 & 6 o'clock position. This makes bundles 2-24 continue clockwise from the 12 o'clock position to the 6 o'clock position and again from 6 to 12. I looks exactly as I want it so I click OK.
Then I choose "create a new fixture for every bundle and click OK.
That brings up the Prop properties window and I choose ok.

Now when I click on each bundle in the fixtures/props window in the far right side of the visualizer window, and the corresponding bundle is highlighted on the mega tree on the stage, The bundles go from 1 - 24 in a counter clockwise order. (reverse from what it should be.

If I create the same tree with the counter clockwise button selected, it creates a tree exactly like the first on but now it is correct since the counter clockwise button was chosen.

It seems as if deselecting the counter clockwise button causes the preview tree to look correct, but doesn't work when the tree is actually created.

All of this is before I assign any channels to the tree.

A couple of additional questions:

Is it possible to have a number of bundles greater than 32?

On my 48 channel mega tree, I have 48 white strands of lights connected 180 degrees apart and the same configuration with 48 strands of multi colored lights. The white lights are connected to controller # 4 CH 1 thru Unit 5 channel 8. The multis are unit 5 channel 9 thru unit 6 channel 16. If I use the channel wizard to assign channels automatically, and try to create two channel bundles, it assigns the channels sequentially using all the white first and then the multis. Is it possible to have it assign one white and one multi channel to each bundle or do I need to do that manually?

I've read the tutorial, but would like more in depth documentation. Will that be available soon?

Thanks and Merry Christmas,
Tony

I had the same issue and had to assign the bundles the way I needed. I don't know about the sizes bigger than 32

1 - You'll have to assign the channels manually. The channel wizard is one of those 90% things - most people when assigning channels assign them by location (that is, separate colors are consecutive). A small number of you assign them by color (separate areas are consecutive). If I remember correctly, there is already a wishlist item to do what you want. If not, I've added it :)

2 - I'll have another look at that clockwise/counter-clockwise thing. I may have messed up the math again, or may not be processing the option correctly - I noticed it wasn't maintained between uses and I'm pretty sure it should be.

3 - No. The number of bundles is limited to 32. As you describe your tree, you have a 24 bundle tree where each bundle has 2 channels.

4 - There is more in-depth help in the help file for the Tree Wizard under 'Advanced Topics/Wizards' and 'Dialog Windows/Tree Wizard'.

So you have a 1 color 48 position tree?

Remember, you can create *2* 24 segment trees and get the same effect. Make both 180 degrees, and rotate one to be the mirror of the other (IE, a 'front' and a 'back' or a 'left' and a 'right'). Move them together in the editor and voila!

Well, I tried the two * 180 degree tree and had the same issue with clockwise/counter clockwise bundle assignments but see the functionality to go up to 64 bundles for a mega tree. It did lead to another question.

If I create a 180 degree tree and assign the channels manually, can I copy/paste or duplicate it somehow and rotate it 180 degrees to mirror the first one or do I have to build it manually from scratch?

I guess another wish list item might be the ability to rotate an item (around a vertical axis in 3D)once its created. I know you can rotate an item in 2D but that wouldn't help here. I'm talking about possibly accessing the initial mega tree wizard window where the ability to rotate an item exists as you create it.