Light-O-Rama Forums

Lousy Night Last Night

jim6918

jim6918 wrote:

doug petschke wrote:
Jim,
I read the problem and had this thought before I read through the rest of the posts so if this is a repeat If i would have read the rest of the post i would have lost this thought! : sorry.

Have you tried to replace the GFCI? They have a tendency to get weak over heavy use too. If you have the trouble on only one side of the controller then swap the plugs around an see if the problem follows if it blows when plugged into the other GFCI then it's your trees/cords if it does not blow then swap out your GFCI.
worth a try!
I had a GFCI problem with hot tub. It worked for a while then get hot and keep blowing. I replaced it and tub worked

I will not go back a read the rest of the posts lol
Don't apologize Doug. Actually when I first had trouble a couple of weeks ago during a similar wet snow storm, the first thing I did the next morning was to replace the GFCI. I posted a question about whether GFCI's get weak, There followed an interesting discussion about test equipment that would determine the leakage from a GFCI going bad, or something similarly over my head. Things went well for two weeks until last night, but it has been dry and cold. I also keep each controller to a single 20 circuit. My electrical panel for LOR is 100 amp and dedicated so nothing shared with LOR.

I'm pullin from 2 different GFCI circuits both 15 amp
I have a 1602 with the heavy heatsinks so i can do high amperage on 1 controller

I'm shut down for the night due to GFCI. Been raining all day and its in the forecast for the next three days. Will see what happen tomorrow.

I had some similer problems,I happened to have a roll of 3M high voltage electrical tape,it is real thick and sticky, I have made it a habit of taping the crap out of every conection and plug just to make sure I have no moisture in any plug.I aquired this tape ten years ago and am running low so I will have to look for it probably at an Industrial electrical supply place! just a thought that may help.It allways seems to be the simple things that mess us up the most!

wonder if anyone has ever tried liquid tape ( it dries and acts like electrical tape so to speak.. I imagine this problem usuall stems from a broken bulb ... hard tellin

Sorry to hear all the problems with the rain. I'm either lucky or my LED's aren't affected as much by rain.

We have had alot of rain this winter. One night it down poured for an hour or so and my show ran all the way through with no problems. Granted there are no spots in my yard for standing water.

doug petschke wrote:

wonder if anyone has ever tried liquid tape ( it dries and acts like electrical tape so to speak.. I imagine this problem usuall stems from a broken bulb ... hard tellin

I am putting my money on a broken bulb also Doug. I bet that when I pull the trees up after the New Year I will find that there is a bulb(s) broken. We have all seen that with incand minis; the glass is broken but the bulb filament is still intact and making a complete circuit, so the string stays lit. These particular trees are slated to be retrofited to LED M5's. I am already planning on starting the first row if lights up about 3 or 4 inches from the bottom. I think there will be less chance of breakage that way and any broken bulbs wont be in contact with the ground. You won't nitice the difference at night anyway.

It snowed a couple of inches during the show last night and had no problems. Supposed to warm up again and be nice all through next Thrusday. If I am lucky I will get through with no more problems.

I'm up and running tonight. The static lights my wife put out was causing the GFCI to pop. I knew I shouldn't let her play with electricity.