Light-O-Rama Forums

Urgent Help Needed

DearVBGuru

Scott T wrote:

We had two neighbors complaint to a Council member, which went to the Mayor, which went to the Chief of Police. Their complaints; blocked driveways and headlights.

So we responded . . .

Before they get to the display.
1) The direction page on our website receives the most views, so I have added a notation regarding "Respecting our Neighbors" [/](See link below.)

http://silverdalelights.com/directions.htm

As they turn on Silverdale Circle.
2) I have a back-lite sign that ask our guess to "Respect our Neighbors" (See attached photo)
special note: I have asked them not to stop on the south side of the street. This address the concern about emergency vehicle access. In the case of an emergency, cars will only need to drive out while not inhibiting emergency vehicles from getting in.

During the Show.
3) We have the announcements asking our guest to "Turn down the headlights, keeping the parking lights on, no littering and keep radios at a level that is comfortable in the car."

This past weekend we significantly reduced the causes of the concerns; headlights and blocked driveways. I personally watched most cars throughout the weekend because the kids and friends were Elfing (handing our candy canes and blue lights). I observed cars slowing as they turned on to Silverdale and then turn off there headlights. Driveways were all kept clear and I was witness to the neighbors pulling in and out of their driveways with no trouble.

After doing this, I received a thank you from both the Chief of Police and the Console member. The show continues as scheduled !!

Don't ever give up on a good cause. It's all about the Children!

Merry Christmas to ALL! (Even those who oppose us)

I have had demented elf voice overs for a while and were playing them. I changed up the show a bit and now am playing the same one about the neighbors and radio, etc, every or every other song depending on the length of the song so that its at most three minutes. I went out there last night in the rain from 6:30 till 9:30 and just made sure no one was blocking the intersection mainly. Most the people that come see my display have the common sense to not block a driveway. If they do, its only for a few seconds while they are waiting for traffic to move through.

I like the idea of the sign, however, the way my house sits, I get traffic coming from multiple directions. I am in the top V part of a Y so all my front yard is corner lot. I have one neighbor directly across from me and they are fine with people in front of their driveway as long as they can get in and out. Hasnt been an issue, people will move to let them come in and out as necessary but they dont leave that much. Their kids like the lights and they always have the fron blinds open so their kids can watch the lights. I see them just standing there all the time looking out. Coming in from the bottom part of the Y, the traffic can see my house for quite a ways there is one house on the next corner and thats the only driveway on side with traffic coming to the house and thats where it gets backed up a lot so it might do if I could talk to those neighbors and put a sign there of some sort.

All the other neighbors I have talked to enjoy the lights and they have told me that they have told several peoploe and friends that they can park in their driveways and watch the show. A couple of them even have Christmas parties and open up their blinds and turn on the music so people can see the display from inside their house. However, when they have the parties, and traffic parks on the street, kinds of hinders traffic a little bit but thats mainly as people are leaving...

The house on the other side of me from my neighbor is vacant as well as the house across from that one. Across from me and between the neighbors across from me and the vacant house is an empty lot too small for a house so its called a "Park". All it has is grass and the HOA pays to mow it.

See the attached satellite photo for more details. The main thing that the police are concerned with is the blocking of the intersection and I can agree and help with that. But they dont need to run people off that are not blocking the intersection or any driveways.

If you look at the picture, I am A where the push pin is. Neighbor with problem is X, V are two vacant houses, P is the park, S1 is entrance to our subdivision and they can see my CCR tree from the highway. S2 is the point at which they can see the house again. ? is where a sign might help, C next to the big blue pool, is what we call the colts house. Colts house has over 100,000 LED lights front and back and along the pool, etc. It also draws people into the neighborhood. He started doing four years ago. People will stop at S2 and look at back of house across lake, drive around acorn drive and stop and look between houses, With the two houses (his and mine) we get a lot of strange traffic patterns. Some come inand see my house first, then turn on Davis Dr, and follow around and see his house. Others turn on acorn and see his house, then come back on acorn or davis to see mine. Then I have people that see my house at S1 drive past and turn on clearwater and come back to my house on hummingbird ln then drive out or around again to see colts house.

As you can see its a wierd traffic patterns. The majority of my display has been in my front yard facing the Y intersection for the past 9 years so people can see it as they are driving up and not have to get into the intersection. I have though t about putting more stuff in my yard between my house and the vacant house so people would park along the street. by the vacant lot. If only I could turn the park had "ing" on the end of it. If it was a temporary parking lot of some sort that I could do something like osb or something temporary so that cars would not get stuck it would be nice. Behind the lot is a motel with entrance off highway and a couple of apartments behind it, smaller building with gravel drive. It would be nice if poepl could pull in there too, but dont think that would happen.

If anyone has any other thoughts based upon layout I would welcome them...

Attached files 294899=16297-House And Subdivision.png

Definitely a tough position to be in. I am very lucky, the positioning of my house and properties lended itself to do a display and controlling the traffic better than yours.

I certainly don't see any easy answer! And frankly I didn't expect my sign to work, but I put it up so the neighbors could see that I was trying. Some effort is better than none. It looks like you have been putting forth the effort.

You just can't please everybody!