Light-O-Rama Forums

Animatronics

bobschm

bfrd22 wrote:

I would love a copy of your program.

I'm still working on a couple of the items in the conversion program. Made some good progress today--I got rid of some jumpiness. I've been trying to get the puppet mode working in TrackSkull so I can see what the skull movement is in it and compare it to what it looks like in LOR. I think I'm fairly close, but I'd still like to check it out. I've ordered a Medusa DMX board to attach to the Enttec DMX USB Pro which I hope will allow me to get puppet mode working.

The way it works is that I take the .txt file coming out of TrackSkull and convert it to a LOR animation sequence file (.las). I then paint the sequence into my master sequence in the sequence editor. It allows you to do parts of the sequence and some of the channels at a time.

I'm still deciding if I'm going to give the program away or make the program available for a nominal fee. But I would still need some beta testers to who would get it free.

Are you talking about running servos or lights? VSA into a LynxMotion board for servos is how I run mine, but what are you trying to use LOR for? If its to light up some lights inside the skulls, or light the eyes, yeah, you're ok using LOR S2/S3, but running servos.. I dont know..

I'm planning on running my whole Halloween show with LOR. I've had no problem getting servos to work with LOR software (S3) and the Servodog controller programming directly in the sequence editor or importing from TrackSkull via my progrsm. I know others also have had success with LOR software and servos.

I'm waiting for a couple of items to arrive. Once I get the TrackSkull puppet mode working and record some movement using the TrackIR, I will be posting videos of everything. It will probably be the weekend.

• 1 month later...

Thought I would add to this thread since I am jumping into Servo controlled things. I wish I saw this earlier, because I just finished an excel file that has a script in it that converts VSA output from TrackSkull to an LOR sequence. If anyone is interesting in seeing it, shoot me a PM with your email and I will send you a copy.

Jim

Also to add, I was able to get the TrackSkull to work in puppet mode using my standard LOR USB 485B. I set the controller to "DMX 8bit", Port "ENTTEC_Open" , Baud Rate 9600. (I think the Baud Rate was grayed out.)

I set the ServoDog to Controller 1, and set TrackSkull to channels 0,1,2, & 3. This controlled LOR channels 1,2,3. & 4

Jim

My research is going well. I've actually begun buying parts and really thin plywood. ;)

So how do I control a motor? I want my display to be a puppet theatre kind of thing with a curtain that rises for the show and descends at the end. I'll need a reversing motor of some kind.

I'm thinking a robot wheel of some kind, but how are those controlled?

• 9 months later...

Thought I would add to this thread since I am jumping into Servo controlled things. I wish I saw this earlier, because I just finished an excel file that has a script in it that converts VSA output from TrackSkull to an LOR sequence. If anyone is interesting in seeing it, shoot me a PM with your email and I will send you a copy.

Jim

My email is shorty7676s@yahoo.com I'm buying a servo dog and but don't know how to sync the audio to the mouth. Can you help?

thanks, rob

If you are just thinking of synching audio and mouth movements, an audio to electrical output (for motor or servo control) board makes it easy to do, without the need for any programming (other than when to tell the unit to turn on/off in LOR.)

While certainly not as precise as software programmed controlled movements, it's more than acceptable!

Remember that folks only see the end results of our display items, not how complex/simple the electronics behind them are! Only you know that.

If you go to my website, and look at our 2012 video - you will see and audioanimatronic Santa, plus 2 former Gemmy products (deer and snowman) that I use as hosts that run audio conversion boards. You judge as to whether or not they work.

The addiitonal benefit is that as I change announcements, the animations follow along with the changes, without the need to reprogram anything.

www.youngschristmas.com

Greg.

Edited by Greg Young

• 2 weeks later...