Light-O-Rama Forums

I'm a newbie... What should I buy??

nucmed24

Hello -

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading the forums and watching all the different display videos. There are definitely many creative folks on this forum! After all the reading, however, it seems like I have more questions! :P

I want to start out by purchasing items now to start this hobby for next Christmas. (take advantage of the after xmas sale) As it stands now, I have 10 strands of C9 incandescent over the house and garage, and some rope lights around the pillars of my front porch and some yard stuff.

I want to start out slow, maybe purchase a 16 channel kit just to get acquainted with the hobby.... What else do I need exactly?

If I were to switch to LEDs for the house and garage, what size is recommended?

What exactly are these RGB strips? All the colors in one strip?

How many LED strands can you hook together for one channel? And can you hook them together without any issues? I was reading about voltage boosters, so I figured you had to use that if you hooked too many together...

I am also interested in getting an FM transmitter and playing the music on the radio, as to not upset the neighbors... is that what most folks do? Or do they also have speakers playing outside?

I'm sure as I get answers, I will have more questions. This looks to be such a fun hobby...I am quite excited to begin working!

thanks for any information you can give me...

ERIC

PS... I've attached a picture of my house from last year, so you have an idea of what I'm working with.

Attached files 294504=16250-009.JPG

Welcome! See answers to your questions below.

As it stands now, I have 10 strands of C9 incandescent over the house and garage,

From an amperage standpoint, keep in mind that those are going to be about 14.6amps. (1.46a on a 25ct C9 incandescent string.) See more about amp limits below.

I want to start out slow, maybe purchase a 16 channel kit just to get acquainted with the hobby.... What else do I need exactly?

Make sure you get a starter kit from the store. That will include the software and the USB485 adapter you will need to connect the computer to the controller. (And, others will tell you this ... but don't forget the extension cords.)

I use C6 and M5 in my display. Seems to work well for me.

What exactly are these RGB strips? All the colors in one strip?

An example of an RGB strip would be the LOR Cosmic Color Ribbon. I think the LOR Store has some videos of them in action.

How many LED strands can you hook together for one channel? And can you hook them together without any issues? I was reading about voltage boosters, so I figured you had to use that if you hooked too many together...

You can hook as many LED's to a channel as the controllers will allow. Keep in mind that the controllers have a 15amp (per side/two sides per controller) limit. Each channel has a maximum of 8amps. (Just don't go over 15amp per side.)

I am also interested in getting an FM transmitter and playing the music on the radio, as to not upset the neighbors... is that what most folks do? Or do they also have speakers playing outside?

I run over a FM transmitter, though every once in a great while I'll put speakers out side. (Once in a great while = once or twice every few years.)

nucmed24 wrote:

Hello -

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading the forums and watching all the different display videos. There are definitely many creative folks on this forum! After all the reading, however, it seems like I have more questions! :P

I want to start out by purchasing items now to start this hobby for next Christmas. (take advantage of the after xmas sale) As it stands now, I have 10 strands of C9 incandescent over the house and garage, and some rope lights around the pillars of my front porch and some yard stuff.

I want to start out slow, maybe purchase a 16 channel kit just to get acquainted with the hobby.... What else do I need exactly? If you ordered a 16 channel starter package it will come with everything you need. Except for extension cards and lights of course.

I don't think there really is a 'recommend' size. I use RGB strips on my house and garage. You could use the same size LEDs as the incans. you are using.
What exactly are these RGB strips? All the colors in one strip? Here is a pic of a piece of my RGB strip. Thie piece of strop has the weatherproof silicone cover removed. Notice the little with squares. They contain 3 LED, one Red, one Green, and one Blue. They are 12v DC (I use LOR DC controllers for mine). This strip requires 3 channels from the DC controller. Turn on one of the three colors and get that color. Turn on all 3 channels and the strip will be white in color. BTW don't let the small size fool you. These RGB LED strips are VERY bright.
RGBstripwithdime.jpg
How many LED strands can you hook together for one channel? And can you hook them together without any issues? I was reading about voltage boosters, so I figured you had to use that if you hooked too many together...I don't know anything about or anyone using a 'voltage booster' with regular LED light strings. There are people using 'snubbers' with their LEDs if they have multiple strings attached to a channel and see diming problems. I have only 1-100 ct LED string hooked to each channel. I don't use snubbers.

I am also interested in getting an FM transmitter and playing the music on the radio, as to not upset the neighbors... is that what most folks do? Or do they also have speakers playing outside? Yes, most of us use FM transmitters (most use EDM). Some use both a transmitter and speakers in their yard.

I'm sure as I get answers, I will have more questions. This looks to be such a fun hobby...I am quite excited to begin working!

thanks for any information you can give me...

ERIC

PS... I've attached a picture of my house from last year, so you have an idea of what I'm working with.

Looks like you have a nice display to start with. C9 incans. are quite power hungry. I would suggest you buy a KilOWatt meter to find out exactly what all your lights you plan to use are drawing. Make sure you do not over load the LOR controller.

Zip ties and a zip tie tool.

A substitute for the zip tie tool would be to spend a few minutes each evening rubbing sandpaper on your finger tips to toughen them up.

I am using C9 LED Retro dimming on my roof line and C6 iceciles on the gutter of my roof. Everything else like the arches use M6. Now is a good time to save a lot on LEDs. We have two vendors that want your business and will give you a break if you order now. One needs 50% and the other wants 100% up front. First guy will only sell in dozen carton. Other guy will sell individual strings. Just look through the site and you find the two vendors. BTW the one guy has been around for years. The other is his 2nd year. I dont want to get into a A is better that B discussion so I have left off the names to protect me the incident. :P

Now Frankly I would also suggest getting many spools of SPT wire and the female vampire sockets. I am using the PC controllers and so I crimp on quick connectors to the SPT wires. And skipping the extension wires you hear so many buy. Yes LED cost more, but they use way less energy. Many will say that it is not that much that they save on the electric bill. But I say I can run 128 Channels with about 5 of them being for my 60W blow molds lamps. All of that off of one outlet. Try to do that with icans! So, start reversing and get LED. You'll be happy in the end. BTW LED do not crack and peal the paint off of the bulbs. LED do not burn out like icans will. But more often than not, if you do get a bad string. Then for most people it is toast. But if your good with electricity and LEDs and can trouble shoot and own a volt meter. Then you will learn how to repair them too.

Sorry I get a bit windy at times.

What great advice and tips so far! I appreciate it greatly. Of course, with more answers comes more questions... so PLEASE excuse my being naive.

** It sounds as if LED is a good way to go, so that is likely what I will be doing. So I can zip tie a couple/few strands of LED lights of different color together, and use those. How do people attach the lights to the house? I use staples now, but is there a better way that I haven't learned of?

** I have noticed that people, when they have lights around their window as an example, looks as if the strand of lights fits perfectly around the window. Stuff never goes perfectly for me, so do you guys cut the LED light strand to fit, and then attach a plug to the end if needed to hook to something else in the channel?

**Paul R. mentioned a "snubber". What the heck is that?

** Isn't SPT wire just like lamp cord? Are they for outside?

**Have you guys heard of Holidaysoft? How is that compared to the software LOR offers? I've heard good things about holiday soft but haven't researched it much.

** How many songs do you guys sequence with? Is it common to just have 4 or 5 songs in a loop? Or many many more?

** I see that there are songs already sequenced for sale. Is that worth it or better to set it up yourself?

Thank you again so much for all the info you all are helping me with!

ERIC

Does Fade up/Down, Shimmer, and twinkle work for the LED strands that you can get at Walmart/Lowes/HomeDepot/etc?

I can't seem to find a straight answer on this.

Crazydave wrote:

Does Fade up/Down, Shimmer, and twinkle work for the LED strands that you can get at Walmart/Lowes/HomeDepot/etc?

I can't seem  to find a straight answer on this.

I think it must vary, I've read that some have problems and some don't. I guess I was lucky, I bought some LED at Home Depot, some at WalMart, and some online. *knock on wood* so far, all of them work great for Fade up/down, Shimmer, Twinkle etc.

Crazydave wrote:

I can't seem to find a straight answer on this.

The straight answer is yes, HOWEVER, the way they will fade depends on the string and how many you connect together. I try not to connect more than 2 or 3 together from the big box stores like Wal-Mart, Lowes, Target, Home Depot, etc., once I get to that 3rd string, sometimes I have to add another element that uses a C7 bulb at the end of the string. I use some very small Blowmold characters or incandescent tree topper stars (10-12 lights) to help with the fading up and down by connecting them to the end of the LED string. It's not the ideal solution, but if you're having issues with fades not working, this is one way of doing it. Another way is to add a snubber, which is nothing more than a resistor across a male plug that can be plugged into the end of the LED string. Usually about a 47K 1/2 watt resistor(you may be able to use a 1/4 watt one, but not 100% sure on that).

Without these incandescents or snubbers in place and having 3 or more LED strings from those stores, the fade will many times NOT fade at all, but will act more like an OFF or ON command when a fade down/up is encountered. Usually if I only use no more than 2 of those store bought LED strings connected together I don't have any issues. But adding in that 3rd or more, then that's where the fading properly issue comes in. This doesn't affect the shimmer or twinkle effects, those are handled much different than a fade, unless you're using a fade with a shimmer or twinkle, then that is where the issue comes to play.

replies with in your quoted post.

nucmed24 wrote:

What great advice and tips so far! I appreciate it greatly. Of course, with more answers comes more questions... so PLEASE excuse my being naive.

** It sounds as if LED is a good way to go, so that is likely what I will be doing. So I can zip tie a couple/few strands of LED lights of different color together, and use those. How do people attach the lights to the house? I use staples now, but is there a better way that I haven't learned of? Staples are still one of the best means.

** I have noticed that people, when they have lights around their window as an example, looks as if the strand of lights fits perfectly around the window. Stuff never goes perfectly for me, so do you guys cut the LED light strand to fit, and then attach a plug to the end if needed to hook to something else in the channel?
Do not attempt to cut LED strings to length. They will burn up and all you will have left is trash. I made a wooden frame that I attach to the window. Well actually the bricks framing the window. I did a little math and even so had a few extra left over that I tucked behind the frame. Drill holes and stuffed the LED lamps into the frame. 4 screws and the frame is up or down.

**Paul R. mentioned a "snubber". What the heck is that? LEDs do not put a pure resistive load on the triacs in the controller. Actually it is some what capassitive and the triac has troubles shutting off. A snubber is a resistive load. Can be a single C7 or C9 lamp or some joke about one of those air fresheners that plugs into the wall.

** Isn't SPT wire just like lamp cord? Are they for outside? Well some will scream bloody murder about using SPT wire. But the majority of us use it anyway. And yes, it is basicly lamp cord. I just would not pick it up with power on the wires and the ground is wet. Kill the power before messing with the wire just in case.

**Have you guys heard of Holidaysoft? How is that compared to the software LOR offers? I've heard good things about holiday soft but haven't researched it much. I have not used this, so will leave this for someone else.

** How many songs do you guys sequence with? Is it common to just have 4 or 5 songs in a loop? Or many many more? That is a 5 billion dollar question. The answer is simple. How many songs do you want in your show. You sir are the director of your show.

** I see that there are songs already sequenced for sale. Is that worth it or better to set it up yourself? Some people buy a sequence to learn how it was done. Some, buy cause they have no idea or time to do it themselves.

Thank you again so much for all the info you all are helping me with!

ERIC

Glad to help.

To others, it is rude to post a question in anothers thread.

nucmed24 wrote:

** It sounds as if LED is a good way to go, so that is likely what I will be doing.  So I can zip tie a couple/few strands of LED lights of different color together, and use those.  How do people attach the lights to the house?  I use staples now, but is there a better way that I haven't learned of? 

Yes, you can run multiple strands of differing colors together. As for attaching to the house, I have used the plastic gutter and shingle clips for going on eight years now (static lights). No plans on changing to anything else.

nucmed24 wrote:

I am going to do the same thing for my display. My plan is to build a PVC frame that will fit/wedge into the opening and tie wrap the lights to the frame. There may be better methods out there, but that is my plan at this stage.

nucmed24 wrote:
**Paul R. mentioned a "snubber". What the heck is that?

** Isn't SPT wire just like lamp cord? Are they for outside?

A snubber is an added resistance to a channel's circuit, with either a resister or lamp.

SPT wire is lamp cord. There are a few different types available. Do a little research on the wire and connectors before you throw money at it.

nucmed24 wrote:
**Have you guys heard of Holidaysoft? How is that compared to the software LOR offers? I've heard good things about holiday soft but haven't researched it much.

This is a little beyond me for the LOR system, so take this with the understanding that I may be totally wrong; my guess is that the HolidaySoft software is probably not compatible with LOR equipment.

nucmed24 wrote:
** How many songs do you guys sequence with? Is it common to just have 4 or 5 songs in a loop? Or many many more?

** I see that there are songs already sequenced for sale. Is that worth it or better to set it up yourself?

As far as how many songs... Up to you. I haven't fielded a sequenced display to date, but the plan is to have shows set with enough songs to fill thirty minutes, and run two or three shows each evening in 2012.

On the LOR site, they have a couple of free TSO sequences. You'll have to purchase the music, though.

From what I have learned over the past month of playing with the LOR software... I have tried some various shared sequences and the "free" ones from LOR, and have found that even though the work has been done, it won't necessarily work for your display. Those sequences have given me lots of ideas, though. When we field our display, it will all be 100% "me".

A couple of other things to throw your way; GFI protection. Make sure you have your display on GFI circuits. You never know who's hands may be on the lights!
And know your channel and controller loads, don't guess (especially if using incandescents and/or floods). Your electronics will serve you longer if they are happy!

All of my lights are from Walmart, Menards or Sam's Club. I incorporated snubbers this year in my display and the fadings works fine for me. A snubber is a phantom load. The cheap and easy is a 39k ohm 1W resistor across the plug terminals. There are threads in the newbie section about these.
Since you are starting this early, you could start with 32-64 channels this year without too much burden. The best thing is try to decide your layout and channel count early and then try to stick with it. Making changes to sequences can really suck if your not careful. Consider your first year as a practice year and depending on your location, don't expect heavy traffic to your display the first year. Some great advise from the old timers, don't seek attention to your display from the media, then you may have to deal with traffic issues and cranky neighbors.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned lately, BACK UP YOUR FILES! You don't want to loose all your hard work. Most people run their show from a dedicated computer. It can be a barebones machine from a rummage sale. I got mine from a rummage sale for $5. No network connection, no antivirus needed and Windows update off.

Jimswinder is in Washington also, I would strongly suggest you make a field trip to visit his display, just becareful of falling trees! :P

scubado wrote:

Jimswinder is in Washington also, I would strongly suggest you make a field trip to visit his display, just becareful of falling trees! :)

Don't tell him that!!! LOL. Seriously though, get together with a fellow animater and ask questions in person. Go and look at there display during the day if you can so that you can see ways of hiding your controllers.

So another question... how are C6 lights for a house? Too small? Look at my house in the first post and give me your opinion. I don't mind going C7, but the light string length options for C6 works better...

nucmed24 wrote:

So another question... how are C6 lights for a house? Too small? Look at my house in the first post and give me your opinion. I don't mind going C7, but the light string length options for C6 works better...

I don't have a 2 story home, but I currently use those 200 LED C6 strings I purchased from Lowes 2 years ago. They look good enough to me.

You can check out a video of how they look on my house here:

http://vimeo.com/groups/109696/videos/33852279

I think they would look fine on your house, but that may depend on how far back you are from the street. My house does sit back a bit, never really measured the distance, but sure it's a little over a 100 feet, maybe even a little over 150 feet.

nucmed24 wrote:

Short answer is, save your money.

Ok in one of the last several post you ask again about C6, C7 or C9 on your house. And ask for a person to look again at the picture of your house.
Frankly it appears to me that you already have ican C9 lamps on it. If you want the same look, then stay with C9 LED lamps.

As I mentioned about my house. Got the C9 LED on the edge and ridge line. But have C6 icicles on the gutters and I like the look of that. BTW both C9 and icicles are White, Red, Green, and Blue.