Light-O-Rama Forums

Shimmer Effect

martyk

I sent this to the wishlist at LOR, but was wondering if anyone else has thought it would be nice to be able to set the rate for the shimmer effect. Just curious.

Marty

I have a bigger issue that you can fade from off to shimmer, but there really is no way to fade from on to shimmer.

Either one is a firmware change for LOR networks. Either one could be implemented in software for the DMX universes, but some have reported that the LOR effects don't look that great on DMX to start with. It may be due to inadequate computer power, but it is not currently correlated.

martyk wrote:

I sent this to the wishlist at LOR, but was wondering if anyone else has thought it would be nice to be able to set the rate for the shimmer effect. Just curious.

Marty

Not only shimmer, but it would be nice if you could control the twinkle rate as well. Sometimes I'd like to slow that twinkle rate down by 20%-50% or even higher depending, no way to do that either.

I'm not really following the reply by klb. Just start the shimmer effect you want in the next cell.

My thinking for a different rate for the shimmer, and I guess the twinkle, is to create a grid with maybe .02 secs and then fill cells to create the shimmer or twinkle you want. Haven't tried it yet, and will probably take some time, but I think it would work.

Marty

Try and do an full 100% on, then try to add a shimmering fade, it can be done, but it IS NOT a smooth flow. So I understand what klb is talking about. I've tried to do it, there is no real way to do this smoothly or efficiently currently in the SE. So klb is correct in saying there really is no good way of doing this.

When you start trying it, you'll soon see it's just not a viable option because there is NO smooth transition from one to the other using a fade.

As with the shimmer and twinkle, there is NO WAY to slow down the shimmer effect, nor is there a way to speed it up, it has a set rate, same with twinkle, it has a "randomness" effect to it when used on differing channels at the same time, but if you use it only on one channel, it is basically one set speed, although somewhat random on it's off/on phase. So again, no way of slowing or speeding this effect up or down either.

Once you start using these effects and attempt some of this, you'll be able to understand the issues more clearly.

Those of us that have already tried it, well, we know exactly what happens, those that are just coming into this, or haven't tried to change the speed or smooth transition of the effects being discussed in this thread, once they start playing around with them, will find out what we're saying is true.

And it would be nice if some changes could be made to accomodate the effects a little better, giving smoother transitions from a full on to a fade shimmer or a full on to twinkle or from a shimmer fade to full on or twinkle to on, as well as control the shimmering or twinkle speeds.

Orville wrote:

Try and do an full 100% on, then try to add a shimmering fade, it can be done, but it IS NOT a smooth flow. So I understand what klb is talking about. I've tried to do it, there is no real way to do this smoothly or efficiently currently in the SE. So klb is correct in saying there really is no good way of doing this.

When you start trying it, you'll soon see it's just not a viable option because there is NO smooth transition from one to the other using a fade.

As with the shimmer and twinkle, there is NO WAY to slow down the shimmer effect, nor is there a way to speed it up, it has a set rate, same with twinkle, it has a "randomness" effect to it when used on differing channels at the same time, but if you use it only on one channel, it is basically one set speed, although somewhat random on it's off/on phase. So again, no way of slowing or speeding this effect up or down either.

Once you start using these effects and attempt some of this, you'll be able to understand the issues more clearly.

Those of us that have already tried it, well, we know exactly what happens, those that are just coming into this, or haven't tried to change the speed or smooth transition of the effects being discussed in this thread, once they start playing around with them, will find out what we're saying is true.

And it would be nice if some changes could be made to accomodate the effects a little better, giving smoother transitions from a full on to a fade shimmer or a full on to twinkle or from a shimmer fade to full on or twinkle to on, as well as control the shimmering or twinkle speeds.

I don't want to sound like I don't believe what other folks are saying about anything. Everything in my head looks great, it just doesn't always look great in reality. Since the transition from on to shimmer has been tried by folks like you and klb I believe it's not smooth and appealing to the eyes. klb stated there is no way to fade from on to shimmer

This is my second year and I have used these effects in my sequences. I understand the functions and limitations. I guess like everything else I work with I try to push and make it do things people or manuals say it can't, or come up with an alternative that comes close and I'm satisfied with.

Thanks for the replies.

If you're bored, or curious, search "Independence safety town christmas" on YouTube to see what I have put together.

Marty

When I state a full on to a fade shimmer, that is the effect is 100% on, then from a 100% shimmer to a fade down, which can be done. It just doesn't look appealing. As for going the other way, full 100% on to a full shimmer fade up, that too can be done, but it's worse looking than going the other way because you just can't fade from a full on to a fade up shimmer effect, so you have a hard drop out between the full on to the shimmer fade up.

Same thing with the twinkle options.