Light-O-Rama Forums

Interesting Problem

Guest guest

I am having an interesting problem.

The Setup: I have 9 boards. They are hooked up in the following order: 1, 2, 3, 7, 4, 8, 9, 5, 6. Boards 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 9 are CTB08D boards. Boards 3, 7, 8 are CTB16D boards. Boards 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 are running last year's firmware, each running their appropriate version. Boards 7, 8, 9 are new and running this year's firmware, each with its appropriate version. There is no more than 40' of CAT-5e cable between the first unit and the computer. The computer is WinXP home edition. I have a USB RS-485 without booster.

The Problem: This just started tonight. When I noticed that the lights were not on at 5:30, I checked the computer. The computer was just fine. Unit 1 did not have a connection to the computer, determined by the blinking LED. I replaced the CAT-5e cables and checked it again. No luck. Then I removed the CAT-5e cable going to the other controllers. The status LED went solid and the unit began responding to the commands. I then plugged the CAT-5e (that goes to the other controllers) back in. The status LED started to flash and the unit stopped responding. Then I swapped the order of the connections, i.e. the computer was now connected to the "thru" port and the other controllers the the "in" port. No luck. I went to the other units and removed the power. Unit 1 & 2 remained plugged in. The lights on units 1 & 2 started to respond the the commands from the computer. Then, I added units 3 & 7, they are on the roof and on a 5-way power tap together. All the lights went dark. The status LED on unit 1 started to flash. I removed units 2, 3 & 7. Unit 1 returned to the show, with a solid status LED. Suspecting unit 1, I set its ID to 00 and reset it. This had no effect. I tried having power only to units 1 & 4. The status LED on unit 1 returns to flashing. It seems as though if any of the units after unit 2 are connected, the system stops recognizing the computer.

It looks like a controller or cable along the way has a problem. Go along the line unplugging the data cable to the next controller in sequence. I.e. try 1, 2; 1, 2, 3; 1, 2, 3, 7; ... At some point it will stop working, so it's likely that the current controller or the cable to he previous controller is bad.

Thanks John, that is exactly what it was. Some how a pin on one of the CAT-5e connectors came loose and was lost. Unfortunatly, it was in one of the LORs on the roof. I crimped a new end on, and all was fixed.