Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR, not just for the holidays

scubado

I thought I'd start a thread for the newbies to show off other ideas for your new controllers to keep them busy throughout the year.

This was my first use of my controllers a couple years ago, I built two large raised flowerbeds, they are wired to the same channels. The eight sides are each 4 channels,RGBW. Currently the white is segmented and the colors are solid around so I'm only using 11 channels. Some day I plan to make it a full 32 channels. The picture is showing lights inside the walls, I ended up not liking it and removed them.

Attached files 294051=16225-Picture 1802a.jpg

Were in the process of buying a new house because the price of housing keeps getting lower and APR rates are excellent right now. This is my first year with LOR and I just purchased a 16 channel controller to test the waters. So im already planning on how to integrate controllers with our new house (including year round landscape lighting that will also double as part of our holiday displays). So im keeping my eye on the cosmic color floods and with the new house I will be able build a dedicated 200 amp breaker and run all my lighting underground so i dont have to deal with running all the power cords on the grass... I CANT WAIT. Ive had a problem with holiday lights for a long time... and weve always got great responses from our friends family and neighbors, but now with my introduction to LOR... the addiction has become a full blown obsession.

When we finally acquire the house we're working on, I'm planning on adding a nice waterfall/stream and pond with some udnerwater lighting, hopefully RGBW type lighting and using the underwater lighting for ambient effect.

Not sure how that will work out just yet, just in the thought process stage and some rough outlines/drafts, although some of those ideas will go into more detail and on to graph paper for actual planning and placement once I know how things will all work out.

You're in the same boat I was in 3 yrs ago, bought my 1/2 duplex 13/30/08. Here's a couple tips: If you're running mostly LED, you won't need that much power. I have 100amp service for whole house. I started off having my controllers in the basement and ran conduit and outlets out to the flowerbeds and along the house. I ran a lot of wire and then expanded and had to put in larger conduit. I decided to put one controller outside secured to the house was very happy with it. After Christmas I plan to remove a controller in the basement and mount it in a box to be outdoors as well. This will give me two controllers that I can move around and use for testing during the off season. Any new controllers I get this year will also be outdoors. It's nice to have a couple indoors as permenant infrastructure, but much easier having them outdoors closer to the elements. It's also dependant on your security concerns as well. I also use 10 and 20W leds from ebay for floods and lightning that are fun to work with.

I'm hoping for a good cold spell for at least a week. Years ago I filled a garbage can full of water and froze it with leds in the ice. The effect was very cool and would love to do it again now that I have some better lights and LOR.

Yeah I probably wont NEED 200 amps - but ive always been one of those who lived by the "better to have and not need than to need and not have" credo...:cool:

I've been using the LOR DC board for my landscape LED floodlights for the last year or so.. Just had Cat5 draped around the yard, wasnt pretty, but it worked.. This spring I'm sinking 2" PVC conduit from the house to the planters and flower beds to run the Cat5 cabling unseen.. I currently have some white/clear rope light in place of the floods (which are lighting the front of the house), so I'll have some rope light holders in place too. I like the DC board as it's smaller, but I have a power supply outboard, now, which I will mount in a box with the board so it's one tidy package..

I like that planter seat.. looked good when you posted build pix of it last year.. even better now that it's nicely lit.

I haven't had the best of luck with this planter, mostly shade and partly the soil? I added some better quality composted dirt this fall. I hope to have better luck this year with the plants. My other flowerbed does very well. This pic was taken early June.

Attached files 295529=16324-078a.jpg