Light-O-Rama Forums

New to this and want to do this in 2012

rpenning1970

thank u rpenning for posting ur questions, I got answers for 15% of my questions, I just found out about lightorama a month ago and actually was by mistake, I was just looking for LED chistmas lights in order to upgrade my chistmas lights "display" for next year but now I'm in the same boat you are, getting as much info as I can and try to decide if I'm going to start with 16 or 32 channels next year and if I'm going to mess with the RGB led strip lights this year or just wait till 2013.

thank u guys for all ur help, we totally apreciate it.

LEDsNewFan wrote:

thank u rpenning for posting ur questions, I got answers for 15% of my questions, I just found out about lightorama a month ago and actually was by mistake, I was just looking for LED chistmas lights in order to upgrade my chistmas lights "display" for next year but now I'm in the same boat you are, getting as much info as I can and try to decide if I'm going to start with 16 or 32 channels next year and if I'm going to mess with the RGB led strip lights this year or just wait till 2013.

thank u guys for all ur help, we totally apreciate it.

Welcome to this addicting hobby. I started with 32channels my first year and it seemed like a good place to start. Plenty overwhelming, but doable. 16 channels hardly seems like enough to do much with. However, don't exceed your budget (allow for triple what you think everything else will cost later on, such as cords, lights, supplies for props, etc.). And quadruple the time you think it will take to sequence (4-8 hours per minute of music)--the more channels, the more time it takes. And even 16 channels will still allow a display that will probably be the coolest display most of your visitors will have ever seen. It is easy to look around here and see the many incredible display and then bite off more than you can chew. Remember what your visitors will be seeing for the first time.

Also might want to include your location in your profile since your climate might affect the advice given to you, plus other same state members might be able to help in a different way.

LEDsNewFan wrote:

thank u opening for posting ur questions, I got answers for 15% of my questions, I just found out about lightorama a month ago and actually was by mistake, I was just looking for LED Christmas lights in order to upgrade my Christmas lights "display" for next year but now I'm in the same boat you are, getting as much info as I can and try to decide if I'm going to start with 16 or 32 channels next year and if I'm going to mess with the RGB led strip lights this year or just wait till 2013.

thank u guys for all ur help, we totally appreciate it.
for me the decision came down to the mega tree, I wanted to do a mega tree but not at the expense of some of the other props. WowLights had a starter package (32 channel) that included everything I needed, made a few mistakes (using rope lights on the mega tree instead of LED's - seemed like a good idea at the time) but it left me with ideas of what I wanted to do this year. Much happier with this year's product.

Welcome to the madness! I too started early last year with my first show this year. It seems overwhelming at first, but you have plenty of time. I scored big last year with after Christmas sales on LED strings...this year looks like a different story. I went with LED because I wouldn't have to upgrade my electrical box. The cost up front is more, but in my opinion was a better choice. I started sequencing my first song in April and it took me about 30 hours for a 5 minute song. Seen here.

I used mostly M6's and a few C9 LEDS. My display is 32 channels. 16 is not enough, and 32 is just enough for your first year. The song I did above I sequenced on my own. I have 9 other songs in my show, but I got from others here on the forum, edited them to fit my display.

Each of my mini trees have 5 strands of 50ct on them. I think they look fine. I got luck with those in that I didn't have to make them. I bought them at Michael's after christmas for about $3 a piece for the frames. I just tore off the incandescents and put LED's on them. I started putting up lights after Halloween and had it all put up in about two weeks working on it after work. Hooked up the controllers and started troubleshooting. I was done before Thanksgiving.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. You will get alot of help here on the forum. Oh yeah, don't forget extension cords. I bought three spools of SPT2 wire, and a bunch of Vampire plugs.

rpenning1970 wrote:

I am very interested in doing this in 2012,  we bought our house this last fall and it has a nice design that woudl go great for a light show.  So that i understand this,  a single controller has 16 channels a channel being a single power source that is turned on and off based on the program.  all 16 channels working with the program is your show.  Now i see all sorts of shows and really cool looking stuff.  From what i can tell arches has 4 channels usually,  then the mini trees might have just one,  mega trees have quite a few,  i have seen a local set up that a church does and the tree they have has red, green, and white.  The tree can be on all at once or the colors alternate,  i also have seen a thing where the single color spins around the tree ,  how many channels is something like that.  Are led lights the best choice?  i have this year new c9 leds along the sidewalk and c7s across the front of the house on the gutters.  are these ok light sets to use for this? how many strands of lights do you use on these mega trees or mini trees.  Last for just something simple with just a single 16 channel controller what kind of money am i looking at?  I will be working up my plans and might have to hit after christmas sales to get ready for next year.

Surfing has gave you the best advice start with the PC series controllers you get the best bang for your buck! As for packages I wouldnt worry about packages myself and if you have about a spare hour I would personaly order this one http://store.lightorama.com/ctascpa.html you save around $45 buy just plugging in all the cords. Then if you want more just order more of those this is the same way I started. As for software honestly if you plan to grow over the years go ahead and buy the starter software package with the advanced feature, more expensive now but save you money later if you want to grow the show. And like many others have said SPT wire, pre sales, and lots of patients. You have done the absolute best thing you are here asking question early so you have all year to learn and have the time to really get a good feel! Good luck and welcome to LOR and oh yeah definatly buy the other half a nice present because she will deserve it after the time you spend setting up.....and making her listen to Christmas music in July as you sequence unless you get some head phones then she may say your totaly ignoring her :D.

Quick side note asking about lights if you are using standard C9 or C7 and not LED C9 or C7 they will work fine just watch your power load per channel not to exceed 8 amp max per channel or 30 amps per board.