Light-O-Rama Forums

Offensive Comments by Visitors

jstorms

I see alot of comments on videos that I post. I can handle people that don't like my choice in music, my lack of beat, my choice in lights, colors, etc.

...but I've had a number of comments similiar to the following and these drive me completely nuts.

I disliked it, I mean..the game is fine, the music is fine, but wasting all that energy for that useless thing? I bet there're a lot of families who barely can afford their light bill, and then there are these families who waste all those resources in senseless shows like that... Now I see why do americans need more nuclear energy plants and invade other countries to get some extra energy...eh?
(I don't have nothing against americans, I have friends over there and I love them)
merry christmas

Frankly, I find this very offensive. First my lights will only cost $40 to run for this entire season (and I'm rounding up).

Next, who on Earth are they to judge me? I work hard at my job, earn money, pay more than my fair share of taxes (different rant), and am fortunate enough to be able to budget some money for my hobby. A hobby that brings me lots of stress relief and happiness.

Plus, the I share the lights at no cost with my friends, neighbors, and anyone who cares to come by and see or watch them on the Internet. All free of charge.

I wonder if this person owns a smart phone, goes out to dinner or has a hobby? Or do they donate every last cent they have to the poor? My response to this person is "shouldn't you be occupying something right now?"

aria101104_cmyk-dont-tread-on-me.jpg

Don't let it bug you. Kids now days expect things to be handed to them. It is very sad, we all earned what we have, they want to skip that whole earning thing and expect to have it. It drives me crazy! goal in life is to better yourself and your family, crying like a 2 year old going corporate America should pay for my college, car, house, food, toys. Oh and I want to make CEO level pay even though I dunno swat about how to do my job or what this company does. Grrrrrrrrr! I see America falling soon.. Sad.
Ok rant off

Oh, they know how to enjoy life alright scubado. Just they want to do so on your dime. And if you are spending your dime in any fashion other than what they think. Then your a bad person. All of that energy your wasting is contributing to the green house effect

J just forget about any comments by some dweep. Focus on the comments by those who enjoyed your display

Arnoldc wrote:

Don't let it bug you. Kids now days expect things to be handed to them. It is very sad, we all earned what we have, they want to skip that whole earning thing and expect to have it. It drives me crazy! goal in life is to better yourself and your family, crying like a 2 year old going corporate America should pay for my college, car, house, food, toys. Oh and I want to make CEO level pay even though I dunno swat about how to do my job or what this company does. Grrrrrrrrr! I see America falling soon.. Sad.
Ok rant off

But don't assume it is always "kids"...idiots come in all ages.

To me, its, "opinions are like...everybody has one.."...if you let it bug you at all, they got what they accomplished...they got your goat.

They are missing the point of you sharing your light display with everyone, especially the ones that can't afford to put up any lights.

Tell them to [Foul Language Used] off!

Remember many teenagers are very self absorbed and because this looser doesnt enjoy the christmas spirit they feel its a waste of time, because anything outside of what they like is a waste of time. You get it all the time and more times than not its someone thinking they are tough behind a keyboard when in fact they are really just wimps and doubt they would actually say something like that in front of you.

I had one person this year who stopped me in the local quick stop and said:

"I see you didn't put up much this year, huh? It does look pretty sparse."

I told them that I had some troubles with jobs not being here and also with my health but I wanted to do it anyway for the people here who enjoy it. Then I told them that I would have to swing by their place and see their display!

They just said "Oh we don't put up anything. It's too much work."

Takes all kinds doesn't it?

Bill

jstorms, just think about all of the time that person took to put up that comment. The sacrifice they made so that their thoughts would be shared with you and everyone else looking at your videos was a selfless act. Such noble actions should never go unnoticed and unrecognized.

I, for one, am proud that they left their heart felt comment. It probably got them off of their Xbox and Facehook for at least two minutes. And also is proof that jackasses can surf the net.

Seriously, pay that crap no mind. It's nothing more than dog poo on the bottom of your boots.

Dont let it get to you. What you do makes you and other people happy. You cant please everyone, so dont try to. Personally, the satisfaction that comes from my friends and family and my neighbors and their friends and family who drive out of their way to come enjoy my display makes it all worth it. What we do makes everyone's holiday just a little bit more enjoyable and I see no reason why we should not do what we do...

I agree don't let it bug you. I firmly think alot of folks that complain about vids are 1 of 3 types.. jellious they have no clue how to make others happy this time of year with something as "simple as lights to music" .. 2 simply do not like the season and 3 just simply angry folks wanting to vent somewhere some how at someone because they are like that stapler guy in office space. 1 smile... one happy person.. I can irk 10 with my lights.. but that one person that was happy for at least a moment, it's all worthwhile. I've prolly had hundreds look in disgust at my display, but on a 55mph road to have many cars slow to 30 or so.. and a few a night stop and watch and listen.. means at least I got to share my heart this season even if I never know who stopped and enjoyed what I spent a good long time working on to make my Wife, Daughter and myself have a little smile on our face everytime we see the house... and knowing others can enjoy all that work too!!

jstorms wrote:

I see alot of comments on videos that I post. I can handle people that don't like my choice in music, my lack of beat, my choice in lights, colors, etc.

...but I've had a number of comments similiar to the following and these drive me completely nuts.

I disliked it, I mean..the game is fine, the music is fine, but wasting all that energy for that useless thing? I bet there're a lot of families who barely can afford their light bill, and then there are these families who waste all those resources in senseless shows like that... Now I see why do americans need more nuclear energy plants and invade other countries to get some extra energy...eh?
(I don't have nothing against americans, I have friends over there and I love them)
merry christmas

Frankly, I find this very offensive. First my lights will only cost $40 to run for this entire season (and I'm rounding up).

Next, who on Earth are they to judge me? I work hard at my job, earn money, pay more than my fair share of taxes (different rant), and am fortunate enough to be able to budget some money for my hobby. A hobby that brings me lots of stress relief and happiness.

Plus, the I share the lights at no cost with my friends, neighbors, and anyone who cares to come by and see or watch them on the Internet. All free of charge.

I wonder if this person owns a smart phone, goes out to dinner or has a hobby? Or do they donate every last cent they have to the poor? My response to this person is "shouldn't you be occupying something right now?"

I tend to find the best way to shut them up (and make them look like what they really are--fools) is to publicly reply with the facts. People for some reason think that because the lights blink that they take more electricity. Most of the lights are off more than they are on. And if you use LEDs, their energy consumption is nearly nil. Electric bill questions are the number one question people ask of me. People are surprised to find out that the bill only goes up a little. So give them the facts. The only thing a tree-hugger hates more is finding out that somebody is hugging the tree more than them (trust me, I am not a tree-hugger). Our displays are more "earth friendly" than the guy down the street with 10 stings of lights that he leaves on static all night. Another fact for my display is that I get the most compliments from families that are having tough times (the "lot of families who barely can afford their light bill" families)-- they tend to say that this was the one thing that brought them so much joy during the Christmas season. So we are doing our part to help the poor and downtrodden. Throw on top of that the charity your display supports if you collect donations.

Of course all of this is beside the point of "who are they to judge." Trust me, even if most of the above weren't true, I would still be doing my display just the same.

Don't let them off the hook so easily.

It seems that more and more today people in general are very critical to anyone that is out of the main stream (aka not normal). I tend to go out of my way NOT to be normal. If I was I would look and act like every one else. That's just not my style. I do the displays because I can. I currently have the time, funds and ambition to do them. We here that support this hobby/obsession just plain enjoy it. Besides we are contributing to the economy - power, lights, wire, accessories, etc....

But it does hurt when you try and do a good deed and someone has the gull to tell you that you wasted your OWN time...

Surfing4Dough wrote:

scubado wrote:
The thing that disgusts me is that these idiots breathe and don't realize the consequences of their actions.

Fixed that for you. :)

+11 on that !!

I would vote for this as "correction of the month"

Dave Batzdorf wrote:

But it does hurt when you try and do a good deed and someone has the gull to tell you that you wasted your OWN time...

And you just look them right in eye and say:

"Yes it is my time to waste and I am having one heck of a great time wasting it!"

Then just start humming a Christmas tune and see how they respond. You can have fun with people who try to put you down while making them look more than a little foolish for their statement.
My demented sense of humor lets me throw some nice zingers back at them without being hurtful to them but I have had some people spit out coffee or gurst out laughing at my responses (this is usually in the local "quick stop" that I have these conversations).

One person who always tries to ruffle me was there the other day so I took a santa hat with me and went in and sang him a Christmas Carol at the coffee machine. I was a little worried that the girl behind the counter was going to pee herself she was laughing so hard.

Hey Christmas spirit, a zinger, and I even had 3 people offer to buy me a coffee.

Oh life can be good and fun some days.

I just wonder how much time, effort, and electricity was used/spent by your detractor. He/she must have spent sometime on the computer, surfing the web, writing the post, and editing the post just to make a negative comment about someone else.

You on the other hand, invested your time, effort and electricity cost to show community spirit and bring joy to others, whether or not you were reaping any benefit.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

scubado wrote:
The thing that disgusts me is that these idiots breathe and don't realize the consequences of their actions.

Fixed that for you. :P

I'm Jim Evans, and I APPROVE this change! :D

Jeff Millard wrote:

jstorms wrote:
"shouldn't you be occupying something right now?"

A-men to that my friend.

Jeff

:P I feel so at home here. I have used that line several times in the past month.:D