Light-O-Rama Forums

A GOOD REASON TO DO THIS

Melvin Stoddard

Well this is my second year and I must admit everything was not going as well as I hoped. I have had three nights of rain which trips some breakers and I have two or three controllers not working. I play my display on a MP3 player and it decided to quit working on Friday of course I didn't know this untill start time. I am out in the dark with a flashlight and computer trying to figure out what is wrong,finally give up so no show on a Friday night. Ran the show on my computer Sat. and Sunday, then found if I loaded my sd card as a mini-director and not a MP3 player it will work, I just have to manually turn it on and off. I've been planing for my display for next year trying to decide how much to spend on lights, since CDI has his pre-order forum ready. Wow between lights and LOR stuff a few more thousand dollars. I sometime ask myself is this worth all the time, money and trouble.Well today I think I got my answer in the mail. It says: Hi My husband Ken and myself live around the corner on Cindy from you. We drive by every day and we watched you put up your decorations in the yard. We were excited to see it all lighted, it is beautiful and we Thank You so much for all your effort, time, cost to share this with the neighborhood. Weve told a lot of people about and they have come to see it as well. Thanks for your
Christmas Spirit and Kindness to share all your hard work with us! We so appericate you and it. Donnis , Please excuse my writing I have Parkinsons and it has changed my writing skill. Ken and Donnis XXXXXXX Merry Christmas!!May God Richly Bless you in 2012. Well there it is, I complain about rain and a .Mp3 player. I think I have problems and then I understand there are people in this world with real problems. I guess if me doing this makes them feel better I better quite crying and get ready for next year. To all my friends on this forum as Donnis said, Merry Christmas!! May God Richly Bless You in 2012. Melvin

Attached files 293347=16192-Untitled 0 00 03-07.jpg

Here's the text of an email I got last week. I've shared it privately with a few members, but this seems like a good time to post it.

"Thank you so much, from the bottom of my heart! I took my two Autistic children to see your display last night. My son, who talks nonstop, was speechless. My daughter, who is almost non-verbal couldn't stop saying, “Woah, wow!”

I have been telling everyone at work about it, and I posted it on my Facebook page. You folks are awesome! We will be back to see it many times before this Christmas season is over, and we look forward to seeing it again in the years to come.

Bless you all for your hard work and creativity!"

you know that says it all, we need to remember to slow down and enjoy the reason we work so hard on the displays. first we all enjoy the holidays and lots of lights. second it feels good to see other admire your work and bring them joy. so if you are feeling mad or ticked off just read the first two post:)

George Simmons wrote:

Here's the text of an email I got last week.  I've shared it privately with a few members, but this seems like a good time to post it.

"Thank you so much, from the bottom of my heart! I took my two Autistic children to see your display last night. My son, who talks nonstop, was speechless. My daughter, who is almost non-verbal couldn't stop saying, “Woah, wow!”

I have been telling everyone at work about it, and I posted it on my Facebook page. You folks are awesome! We will be back to see it many times before this Christmas season is over, and we look forward to seeing it again in the years to come.

Bless you all for your hard work and creativity!"

George; I am glad you shared it with the forum, very touching!

I love to hear stuff like that. Every year I get all my neighbors stop by when they are walking their dogs or jogging and they always say how much they look forward to our display. This year I was late putting up the lights and my elderly neighbor stopped by when I was finishing my setup and yelled THAAAAAANK YOU. Him and his wife have become to old and dont have the energy nor can afford to do the lights and said they are so thankful that I put up the display. They sing in a church choir and have different folks from their church drop them off each night so more people from the church can see the lights.

Its alot of work - alot of money and alot of time. But its so nice to be able to do something that makes the entire community much happier !!

I had a couple of 10-12 year old kids stop by last night (before the show stated) and asked me if I had lost my dog. I was holding our killer Yorkie at the moment and said no I have my dog right here. We talked for a few minutes about dogs.

Then mid sentence one of them stops and asks "Hay are you the guy with the lights?" Then both of them just went on and on about how cool the show was.

Being my first year with 16 channels and only running mini lights I wasn't expecting News9 to show up. But it is nice to see that people appreciate it.

The other night, while I was out of town, a gentleman in about his mid seventies stopped by and knocked on the door. This man has come by almost every night for the last 2 years and stays for anywhere from 5 min to 3 hours with his dog Kendra. When my wife answered the door he told her how much he and Kendra enjoyed the lights so many times and wanted us to know how much she just sat there watching the lights night after night and how much she barked to get in the car and come here all the time. My wife told him how nice that was of him to say such nice things and then asked where Kendra was. He said that she had died in his arms earlier that day but knew is was necessary to come and tell us how much she and him loved the display. I am almost glad I was not here because I most likely would started sobbing like a little baby, my wife did. Just glad they enjoyed it and I have no idea what I would have said to him at that point. I'm waiting for him to come back and hope I can say something to make him feel better. Off to think about what to say if he shows up tonight.