Light-O-Rama Forums

Trying to create an effect

TitanBry77

Hey all,

I'm trying to do a dubstep/techno song for a New Year sequence. I'm having fun with this one, and I am trying to create a look like what you see with the spectrum analyzers for an EQ, as more volume etc it bounces sort of.

Thinking maybe making the 5 channel arches have this effect, maybe to the beat or like how the VU meters go on old audio equipment.

What do you think the best way to try an achieve some variation of this would be, I've been fiddling with it here and there and not getting the look im trying to go for.

Thanks!

What you're trying to do is right up the VU Wizard's alley. It doesn't take long to get whatever look you're after - play around with it. I personally set the attack time to 0 and the release time to 25ms for the look I like.

bob wrote:

Here is a video showing the basic use of the VU Wizard, which seems like the kind of thing that you want.
Hey Bob...thanks for the video...

always wanted to do that effect but never had the time to look at it closely enough to understand it...

I see it is easier than I thought!!

Thanks all! Bingo, that's exactly what I was looking for, thanks for the video Bob.

I fiddled with the settings, sensitivity etc and got them arches hoppin all over the place. It looks sweet with the techno/dubstep song.

I wonder if I'll be the first to do a dubstep song, I've not seen any on here yet. It really has me wishing I had some spare single color lights because I'd have them go from Green - Yellow - Red, like a normal EQ display. ;)

Awesome! Mine is a non-Christmas song, but I tested it last night and it looked pretty wild. I'll upload the sequence and track for you to take a look.

For Dubstep its just a TON of ON/OFF actions!

It won't let me upload it here because it's too large of a file with the audio. I put it on my work webserver as zip file for all who want to take a looksey.

The first 30 seconds where there is just vocals, I've not decided what to do, maybe some dim shimmers or something.

Nothing super exciting here, but when I ran it live on the lights, the effect on the arches and LED tree that I used the VU wizard for really look slick!

http://www.callallseasons.com/lor/Dubstep.zip

They're probably all gone for sure, but BigLots had 70ct orange fullwave chinese LEDs for Halloween, I got 40+ boxes for a buck a box when they were cleaning out halloween stuff.. I had two 100ct sleeves for my Bellagio poles that half the lights were out.. couldnt get them to work for -anything- so I wrapped a set of the orange LED's over the dead section, then put a sleeve of red lights above it.. so not so much a VU meter (vertical bar) as a "rocket".. but could be either, has a strobe at the top too.. you'll see them on the left and right of the MegaTree in the yard.. It's kinda bright so its tough to see the orange on the poles at that distance.

Attached files 294157=16229-house night.jpg

I do see it, that looks cool! I was thinking maybe for halloween making new sleeves for my 5 channel arches, have 2 Green, 2 Yellow, and 1 Red. Although at the rate I'm getting in to this, they may not be 5 channels anymore...... :)