Light-O-Rama Forums

controllers

David Rise

Well, I finished soldering my 4th controller (It's WAS going to be a spare) and for the first time, it did not work the first time I powered it up. The red light did not come on at all.

1. Double checked power to the unit
2. Ohm'd the fuses (they were good)
3. Did a quick check to see if anything obvious defects could be seen (None)
4. Used a magnifying glass to check all my soldering on the top side (looked good)
5. Pulled the board out and checked the soldering on the back (Looked good)
6. Checked the top side again (looked good)
7. Got the instructions out and started checking all the soldered parts starting on the last page, working back to step 1.

FOUND IT! one of the chips was in backwards. I put the dot to the left, instead of the notch.
I thought, this is just great! Last time I tried to pull a chip, I destroyed it and the board.
I thought about sending to LOR to have them fix it for me.

Took a little break, heated up the soldering iron and went to work. A little patience and an extreme amount of luck, I got that sucker out without destroying it. Flipped it around, soldered it back in, plugged it in, and it works like a champ.

It's now going to be installed tomorrow and hopefully, I'll have my spiral tree working by the weekend.

Way to go Dave.
Feels pretty good to not only build them yourself but to actually fix one as well is a real boost as well isn't it?
I have built 12 of the CTB kits myself without any trouble, but I have been working on electronics for 35+ years as well.

Crashdummyjr, you say you built one but want to know if it is difficult? Guess I don't understand your question if you have already built one you have the answer??? OR did you get the preassembled board and just have to attach the cordsets to it? In which case, read on!

I think that the LOR kits are some of the easiest things to build out there today. Very clear and precise instructions that really don't leave anything out. The only real way to screw up one of these kits is to be in a hurry, not read things, or just plain make a mistake like putting a part in wrong. Even then LOR will stand behind their kits and help get it fixed if you need them.

If you have any experience with soldering electronic components then these will be simple to do. Otherwise maybe go to a Radio Shack and pick up a simple kit and practice on it to get the feel for soldering first.
The LOR kits will take a few hours for the first one for you, but it gets faster with the more you do and you can get a board completed in a couple hours pretty easy once you are familiar with them.
And it is fun as long as you treat it as such and take your time and enjoy it. Hurrying the construction phase only results in things taking a lot longer if you have a problem where the board doesn't work after you get it put together.
Read the instructions twice, look twice, place parts and check, then solder. 99.9% of the time you will end up with a completed board (baring solder bridges or bad joints) that works just like it should.

Good luck and have a blast with it.

Bill

David, great job.
I remember back when I did some of my first soldering. Lifted some circuits and kind of toasted the board it self. Then removing chips. It does feel great to learn a new skill. Well done sir.

Thanks. I was pretty proud of myself for being able to get that little bugger out, re-install it correctly and have the board work just like it's supposed to.
The best part is that I did it myself. A great feeling of accomplishment.

Another tool to add to the newbie toolbox is a solder sucker, if you're going to build a unit.