Light-O-Rama Forums

Valley Fair Mall by Richard Holdman

jimswinder

John2571 wrote:

Just a quick pic of the control room.

Just how many computers and monitors does it take to run a bunch of Christmas lights?

Guest wbottomley

jimswinder wrote:

wbottomley wrote:
jimswinder wrote:
Don't know if this has been posted...but have you seen what Richard Holdman did at the Valley Fair Mall this year?

The man's a GENIUS!!

Really? I think it's just a typical sequence. A genius would be doing everything like that with pixels.

Yes... it's nice but no where near a genius.

I can show display's where genius' reside.

http://www.christmaswonders.com
http://www.lightsondisplay.com
http://www.ridgeharborchristmas.com

And the list goes on!
guess I must be at the bottom of the "list goes on"...  :P

Why does a "genius" need to use pixels?

And there is PLENTY of room for more than one genius in this crowd!!

Hmmm...guess like everything else in this hobby it is subjective....checked out one of the videos you had listed...notrhing special...just lights going on and off with the beat of the music...and ALL lights on ALL the time (one thing I despise)...  :D

and don't get me wrong...they are ALL better than mine!!!

I'm sorry. I don't see any genius in the video you posted Jim.

So.. I'm not impressed. Yes... it's good but nothing out of the ordinary.

Maybe I need to quit this hobby and find one where people don't worship other displays.

Yes... he might be a very nice person, but not impressed. Shoot... even Joe Ayo at least had some flavor.

LOL.. When I was in my 20s I worked construction burying utilities underground. There was an old man in his late 50s.(well back then he was old, cause like I said I was in my 20s) Every time someone would be telling a story about ANYTHING. He would always follow their story with. "At aint $hit son" and continue on to tell his 'better' story. LOL
I sure do miss him sometimes.
This thread reminds me of him.:P:cool:

Paul Roberson wrote:

LOL.. When I was in my 20s I worked construction burying utilities underground. There was an old man in his late 50s.(well back then he was old, cause like I said I was in my 20s) Every time someone would be telling a story about ANYTHING. He would always follow their story with. "At aint $hit son" and continue on to tell his 'better' story. LOL
I sure do miss him sometimes.
This thread reminds me of him.:P:cool:

DITTO and to all "Enhance Your Christmas Spirit"

Willie, ridgeharborchristmas is now a dead link.

Folks it has nothing to do with being a genius. It has to do with imagination. Sixteen channels or 1600 it makes no difference. It is what is in your mind and your heart. The only thing that I see that Holdman actually does well is video. With those skills you can make that sows ear into silk.

This is imagination http://www.christmaswonders.com/2011_Videos.html

I did meet Marty a couple of weeks ago. Sad to say on his website he is stating that he is going to take next year off from the show. I wish him well we all will get burnt out at sometime in the future and need a break from it.

Robin wrote:

One other thing. This man is a true genius. He set the standard that few if any will ever meet. He did it before all the new gadgets and ideas and is one of the nicest and most helpful individuals in the hobby. Proud to call him a friend.

Marty Slack

http://www.christmasutah.com/

Marty was kind enough 6+ years ago to email me a copy of his original sketches for the singing reindeer - the first character in my shows,
William has allowed me to bounce ideas off him and helped me complete a dozen or more design projects,
Robin helped me design the coolest tool for wrapping lights on arches - something I sold a bunch of so others could easily wrap arches,
Richard sent me original copies of sequences when the local newspaper wanted a special sequence for a special article in the local rag,
Mike Z had dinner with my wife and I and discussed his designs for most of his components in his shows that air on Good Morning America,
Mark Z - well I cant begin to name ALL the things Mark has helped me and others design and build,
KAT - well Kevin - I think I still owe him money for some relays he sent me for a project,
Demented Elf - Can't Out Do that voice!

What do ALL these people have in common? They GIVE of themselves. Anybody can string a bunch of lights. Most anybody can hook up a LOR controller and make lights blink to music. We can all go down and buy things to put in our display that make things pretty.

The real sign of a gifted person is Three parts
A) They give to others without any desire to get something in return - the giving part is whats important to them, and they give till it hurts;
:( They know when to back off and let the person they are helping run with their idea; and
C) Even if the recipients end result isn't quite as good as what it could be - the gifted one gives high praise for a job well done rather than criticism. I love those that encourage me, and I love to encourage.

And I REALLY love the smiles from the little children, THAT is my payment.

And right in the middle of the video window when you watch ChristmasWonders.com you see the reason!

Jesus is the Reason --- not only for the season but for the giving. I hope and pray we all become givers and not complainers. Scroge was a complainer - and he too changed.

Merry Christmas

Lowell

Papa-LF, I agree with what you have stated. I have yet to buy my first controller and join in the fun and joy of synchronizing lights with music. I do have the software and have been working on learning how to use it. I emailed Richard Holdman and he was kind enough to allow me to download his files and encouraged me on my new found adventure. I spend a lot of time researching the forums for information and answers to question I may have. I take what info I can get, even from the ones who crisis because they are only voicing their opinions for what ever reason and may point out something that I may not have considered. I take what I can get from the forums here and at PC. I feel that all you people are talented in your own right and I hope to someday be able to give back, even a tiny bit, for what I have learned so far.

Tim Meyer wrote:

Papa-LF, I agree with what you have stated. I have yet to buy my first controller and join in the fun and joy of synchronizing lights with music. I do have the software and have been working on learning how to use it. I emailed Richard Holdman and he was kind enough to allow me to download his files and encouraged me on my new found adventure. I spend a lot of time researching the forums for information and answers to question I may have. I take what info I can get, even from the ones who crisis because they are only voicing their opinions for what ever reason and may point out something that I may not have considered. I take what I can get from the forums here and at PC. I feel that all you people are talented in your own right and I hope to someday be able to give back, even a tiny bit, for what I have learned so far.

Welcome Tim,
Gleen what you can, and politely share what you have learned. Let the Blessings - Peace - and Joy show in the Lights of your display of Love...

Lowell, till this day there is a snowman air freshener hanging on a pegboard hook in my shop! I see it daily.

As for Marty we have only talked on the phone and exchanged emails. All of the people Lowell mentioned have always been helpful and generous. You see there is a point in time when giving and helping others really is more important than receiving.