Light-O-Rama Forums

Advice needed

swampman8

Hey guys
I was just introduced to LOR this year. I REALLY want to do this next year. I will probably just be using a 16 channel residential unit to begin with. My question is what do i need to make the system work? Gadgets? I have an old desktop that i can use if that is applicable. It has windows XP. How hard is it to write a musical sequence? How do you hook up the Fm transmitter to computer? I have tons more questions.

This is a big question that would require pages of answers. I would suggest you start here http://www.lightorama.com/Support.html Read up on what yu need equipment wise, the files on building sequences, etc. Once you have read up on this hobby it will become a little clearer to you.

You are smart to start now for next year as for most of this it is a year round hobby and it would be best to start planning now. Also look through these boards as you will notice that some of the vendors have great sale prices on lights for next year starting now (if you want to go LED) or you can start watching for after Christmas sales at the stores.

Welcome to the madness.

The basic LOR system would comprise a computer with the software, the USB adaptor, and a LOR controller. Look on the LOR website for the details.

As for the musical sequences, there are some available here for free, and LOR has a couple that are free as well.

Download the software and play with it in demo mode. That is the best way to see it in action and understand how it works.

But above all else, read! The LOR website does a pretty good job of explaining things, and this forum has a wealth of information available as well. Take some time to read up on things. The system isn't as hard as it may seem, and the time spent researching things will help you immensely.

swampman8 wrote:

How do i download the software in demo mode?
go here:

http://www.lightorama.com/SoftwareDownloadPage.html

then click on:

Download Latest Software Now

Until you pay for a license it will be in Demo Mode...

Also read this page so when you go to buy the License you know what Level you will need:

http://www.lightorama.com/ShowtimeSoftwareSuite.html

swampman8 wrote:

Thanks. I have also noticed alot of shows with small trees in them. I can probably make those. How tall are they and do i need LED lights or will incadescent work?

tomato cages or floral easels, either type of light will work

swampman8 wrote:

do i need LED lights or will incadescent work?
if you presently don't have lights...I would choose one or the other...

both have their pros and cons....

just do a search on this forum as it has been discussed into the ground...

Guest Don Gillespie

swampman8 wrote:

Thanks. I have also noticed alot of shows with small trees in them. I can probably make those. How tall are they and do i need LED lights or will incadescent work?

some use incadescents and some use LEDs I am currently switching over to LEDs as I am getting tired of repairing the incadescents one bulb goes half the string goes the choice is yours and oh ya welcome aboard.