Light-O-Rama Forums

Home Made Light Strings

colonel

I'm at a point where I need custom lengths or "light runs". Rather than trial and error (but I did a search), is this possible?

Make a 100' c7 string from a spool. Screw c7 led bulbs into only some of the sockets to make the display. Or splice some plain wire in long blank spaces? Add a male on one end. Terminate the other end??? Add a rectifier every x' ???

Looking at 12' rebar Christmas tree outlines with garland.

My name is John and I am a LORoholic. Retired and have way too much time on my hands.

Guest wbottomley

Just buy the wire and place the sockets where you need them. Throw a male and female connector on each end and your set.

Why would you need a rectifier?

My statement above is using C7 or C9 bulbs or LED retro fit bulbs.

wbottomley wrote:

I see posts about snubbers, rectifiers, and such to eliminate flicker and makes fades better?? Dunno, I have some "self-flickering" LED's and they really look nice!

To clarify, I could leave say 5' of sockets empty? Maybe cover blanks with electrical tape to keep dry?

Guest wbottomley

colonel wrote:

wbottomley wrote:

I see posts about snubbers, rectifiers, and such to eliminate flicker and makes fades better?? Dunno, I have some "self-flickering" LED's and they really look nice!

To clarify, I could leave say 5' of sockets empty? Maybe cover blanks with electrical tape to keep dry?

Nope. Re-read my post.

Buy the wire and a bag of sockets then place the sockets where you want them.

"Buy the wire and a bag of sockets then place the sockets where you want them."

OK, I did not know. I have only seen spools with the sockets pre-installed. Sounds almost too easy! Thanks for the info. Do you have a favorite vendor for this?

colonel wrote:

Thank you! Saved me a lot of time on the learning curve!

OK, slogging along, I did a day of surfing and can I get an experienced comment on using spt-2 wire and C7 pin sockets with a vampire on each end?

C7 LED replacement bulbs are WOW expensive. $1.10 per bulb seems to be the best price I can find. I can get buy with a few incans but am bumping that LOR 15amp per 8 channel limit and my gfi's don't even like anything close to that.

Comments are appreciated. I did order some of the above to do the trial and error method.

Guest wbottomley

colonel wrote:

colonel wrote:
Thank you! Saved me a lot of time on the learning curve!

OK, slogging along, I did a day of surfing and can I get an experienced comment on using spt-2 wire and C7 pin sockets with a vampire on each end?

C7 LED replacement bulbs are WOW expensive. $1.10 per bulb seems to be the best price I can find. I can get buy with a few incans but am bumping that LOR 15amp per 8 channel limit and my gfi's don't even like anything close to that.

Comments are appreciated. I did order some of the above to do the trial and error method.

Check out these prices: http://www.creativedisplays.com/Announcements