Light-O-Rama Forums

No Big Box After Christmas Light Sales this year (2011)

Guest guest

Was out doing some errands and decided to see about buying some lights to add to my Tabuia tree, Wal-Mart (3) had NO LIGHTS! Target (3) had NO LIGHTS! K-Mart (4) had NO LIGHTS!

This is the first time in history that I have NEVER SEEN ANY LIGHTS in the big box stores for sale at this time of year. They have ALL BEEN SOLD OUT for weeks according to the employees and, of course, they only get limited quantities and once they are gone, THEY ARE GONE and no more to be had!

So I'm going to wager a guess that this year in 2011, there will be NO LIGHTS "On Clearance" sales after Christmas this year. I found Christmas Trees and some lighted Garland, other than that, NO LIGHTS ANYWHERE! This was just around my area in the larger Orlando, Florida area.

So has anyone else found that there are NO LIGHTS to be found at the Big Box and/or Discount stores in their area as well?

Or is this only limited to some areas?

Like stated, this is the very first time in history I've ever seen COMPLETELY EMPTY SHELVES where the Christmas lights would have been!

Our Target and Home Depot started with about half the lights this year over last year. They are out of most LEDs that I want. Target never even carried the 16" LED rope snowflakes I like. :{

I'm hoping if some things work out to get in on the CDI sale and replace all the BigBox store LED's I have. I'll still use the BB store LED's, but they'll be relegated to static use inside and outside for some things.

Will have to wait and see if I can do the CDI sale this year, may have to wait until next year, just depends on a few things we have going on.

Jim Saul wrote:

Same here, plus like last year, they are going 1/2 price before Christmas with whatever is left.
This year I'm not even trying, I'm saving for the CDI sale.

Will be the smartest move you will make.

Our local stores all have plenty of lights. Unfortunately, they are ones that no one wants and they mostly warm white and odd size bulbs and mini, mini lights...WTH! I guess they go on mini trees? Whatever they are used for, Walmart sure has a bunch of them left.

The pickings were slim this year for sure. I was lucky enough to be at Target the day that they put them out. Bought some spare strings of red, blue, green, and cool white.
They were sold out by the end of the week.

Same here in southern California. Went to a bunch of stores to get some lighted candy canes, I think I hit every Home Depot, Lowes, Costco, Target, Walmart, etc. None to be found. Very few lights also. :P

Only place here that i saw that still has lights is Lowes and HD. Most LED's are gone but they still have some and when I asked was told that they would be going on clearence about a week after xmas. But Since being on the boards and part of this group all i have ever seen others tell others is to wait for the sale from CDI...so with that I guess I will wait.

Was in the local Lowes store last night and they were tearing down the Christmas aisles. Asked one of the employees if they had any lights left and he told me where they were. They had two shelves left of lights, and only incandescent Purple and Orange which I can't use.

However, last year, I bought about 100 strings of clear lights which I didn't use this year. I'm just going to get the color caps from CLS and use them for my "custom" strings.

David Rise wrote:

Our local stores all have plenty of lights. Unfortunately, they are ones that no one wants and they mostly warm white and odd size bulbs and mini, mini lights...WTH! I guess they go on mini trees? Whatever they are used for, Walmart sure has a bunch of them left.

The pickings were slim this year for sure. I was lucky enough to be at Target the day that they put them out. Bought some spare strings of red, blue, green, and cool white.

My whole display is minis, so that's one place they go :)

wbottomley wrote:

I flat-out refuse to purchase department store junk. Save your money and buy LED's from a vendor here.

Excellent advice, what I've been doing for years.

kcny wrote:

David Rise wrote:

My whole display is minis, so that's one place they go :)

You missed the mini MINI part. These are Minature minis (minature M5 bulbs). Like something you would find in a table top tree.

Why would anyone have an over stock of those types of lights confuses me.

I Talked to a regional manager at family dollor that was out at my display a few weeks back. She said that she will send all the lights at 90% off right after christmas from all her stores. If I wanted. I will have to go in and see what kind of lights they have and tell her how many. I have no clue what they carry.

Picked up a few strands of green right after T-day and W-mart only had two cases, not many to begin with. What was even stranger is that when I wrapped them with the ones I bought in previous years, they were three feet shorter. I have a funny feeling we won't see mini lights much longer.

I was in my local Home Depot today and thought to check. they had lots of lights - both incan and LEDs. For whatever it's worth.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in walmart today. The one closest to me just had a mixture of a few things, not as much as normal. The one on the other side of town, someone screwed up majorly, no LED's at all and I swear they must have had a 1,000 sets of multi minis, a few blue, no greens or reds. By the looks of that unless they warehouse them, you will be able to pick them up for 22 cents like I did in 2008.