Light-O-Rama Forums

Weird timing issue when assembling video footage of one song

Guest guest

OK, running 5 songs plus an intro this year. I videotaped everything for the website Friday night, and dubbed clean audio onto them yesterday. One of the songs (Carol of the Bells) has a problem. The .WAV file is slower than the recorded audio on the video footage. So when I try to sync it all up, it is fine at the beginning, but gets way out of sync by the end (almost 1 second!).

Weird thing is that when I look in the new sequence editor (with waveform turned on), I see that the light info leads the waveform by the same one second, but the sequence plays correctly in the animation.

I verified that this is the exact .WAV file I used to create the sequence, and have not had this problem with any of the other songs (all created the same way). Any ideas?

Thanks,

David Brown

I have never seen this problem with a wave file. Can you please confirm that this is a WAV file and not a MP3 file....

Do you know what version of windows media player you have.... ALSO there are some types of compressed WAV files. Perhaps windows media player is decoding it one way but the video software and our Wave Analyzer is decoding it another way.

Keep a copy of the original. If you were to re-save the WAV file using audacitiy and set it to be a standard WAV then you may need shift the timing a bit throughout the sequence but then everything would be in sync.

I know about the timing issues with MP3, as we run into this a lot with video editing.

I just looked at the metadata for this .WAV (confirmed the file type too). Apparently it is a .WAV that uses Mpeg Layer 3 encoding instead of PCM (I didn't know that could be done in a .WAV). I think I converted this from MP3 using GoldWave, which I had done with all the others, but apparently I hosed the encoding format.

Anyway, I'll try to convert it tonight to see what it does. If it impacts the animation, I will have to leave it the way it is, and get my video footage with a live feed of the audio instead of a dub.

Thanks.

DavBro

I’m having two problems with my sequences. I’ve tried to find all of the posts and replies to similar problems. I’ll try to anticipate some of the questions that might come back to me. The 2 problems might be related to the same cause.

All of the songs are wav files converted using audacity. (I’m not sure how to confirm this other than looking at the .wav file extension), and they are all .wav). I’m using version 1.5.0 of the sequence editor. My computer is a new Dell with nothing running except Windows, LOR and other junk put on by Dell that I can’t remove. It is not on the internet so viruses should not be an issue.

This is my first year with LOR. I sequenced 6 songs, (3 TSO, 1 Ray Stevens, 1 Mavis Staples, 1 Manhattan Transfer). My show is TSO, other, TSO, other, TSO, other, non-sequenced music (all on) for remainder of an hour.

I started Thanksgiving night. Everything looked great until about two weeks ago. I noticed the timing getting a little off especially in the TSO sequences. Good in the beginning, progressive worse at the song approached the end.

I tried to go into the sequence editor (during the day when the show is not running) to check the timing using ½ speed. Frequently the vertical line going across the screen will freeze for several events and then jump to catch-up. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ralph, official newbie