Light-O-Rama Forums

I made the TV news!

WhitePlainsNY

This originally aired on 11/26/2011 beginning at 10pm. It ran for a few days afterwards. The station was kind enough to send me a DVD when I asked for a copy of the segment. They knocked on my door roughly 40 minutes after I started the show for the season. I wasn't expecting them and I was a little caught off guard. They must have visited my website because facts during the segment weren't discussed during the interview.

edit: fixed link

Nice.. but... two to three hours per song? you must be some kind of wizard at this. My last song which has to have upward of 1000 ques took about 45hrs start to finish.. LOL!

Ok.. emails, internet surfing, video watching and coffee breaks included.. but I only have 137 channels that I am using and it really took a long time.. How do you do it in 2-3 hrs? Perhaps I am over doing it a bit..

Guest Don Gillespie

what I love about interviews is they usaully catch you off guard you want to say one thing but something else pops out of your mouth, good interview you did a great job I know when ever they ask me stuff I am thinking about something else and usaully say the wrong thing, nice display also.

When I sequence, I have my channels in groups and use the Tapper and Beat wizards. No distractions so I can knock them out kinda quick. Probably the most important thing that helps it go quick is the realization that the vast majority of the public will never appreciate our spending hours and hours sequencing one song. We may notice it but they just don't. Some don't even see our radio signs and just like the "blinky" lights. People like that you've spent the time to liven the neighborhood. Anyone who complains is going to also complain at the song that you spent 40 hours on.

Good points! I used to program laser shows and I found that to be true there as well, however.. I still take the hours to do it cause my wife can tell. She has seen so many synced show that she knows.. so I am stuck! :-)

WhitePlainsNY wrote:

Probably the most important thing that helps it go quick is the realization that the vast majority of the public will never appreciate our spending hours and hours sequencing one song.
I spend at least 100 hours per 3 min song. I am using 400+ channels and a lot of CCR(12 in a grid and another 10 for lights around windows). I have had people tell me how impressed they are that the lights change exactly to the music. They have seen other display that seem random to them. Don't fool yourself they can tell and they do appreciate it.

Some can always tell.. others.. not so much.. But they all like the flashy lights! :--)

Like I said though.. my wife is the driving force for me.. if it not right.. I won't hear the end of it! That makes it worth the extra time on the computer! LOL

WhitePlainsNY wrote:

Probably the most important thing that helps it go quick is the realization that the vast majority of the public will never appreciate our spending hours and hours sequencing one song.

Right on. There are little things I put in my songs that I notice & am thrilled with, but when I point them out to others, they're like, "Oh yeah..."

At least you guys notice... right? :D

I love the way you did the rope lights around the windows (kinda reminds me of a gingerbread house) and the candy cane pinwheels are really cool! It's all really cute but those two stood out for me right away.

Good that you received the recognition you deserve! I must spend 2-3 hours just editing the music to what I want and then at least 15-20 hours on sequencing 128 channels. I do get comments on how amazed people are on the lights being right on with the music. I know they can't tell as well as the rest of the pros here, but I invest the time because I enjoy it and I can tell.

• The topic was locked