Light-O-Rama Forums

Video issues

plasmadrive

Hi All,

I am having a real hard time figuring out how to video my display. The problem is that it is in a very large area and if I video it all, you really can't see that much clearly. I have tried both a new HD camera and an older Sony DVX2000.

The newer HD doesn't lend itself to lights in the dark.. and even with really good quality wide angle lense for the Sony the display seems so small in the video.

The layout is my front lawn which is about 40' deep and about 180' wide. Then to the right of the lawn about 40' away are my redwood trees which extend back about 180' from the front. They are about 25'-30' tall. When I go to the left side and shoot looking at the entire thing those redwoods look like they are so small. I also have two trees in the front that block something no mater where I shoot from..

Other then a lot of video editing, got any suggestions?

Sounds like a big area to record.
I could recommend to record the most main area of your display (maybe the front of your house if the front have many lights than other sides of the house).

Or you could record the video in one side of the house, move the camera to the middle keeping the same distance, and then record the other side of the house (using the same sequence every time, in the editing you can put the 3 videos that you got (left - middle - right) at the same time, be sure you match the music time.

Other option is to have a wide angle lens to attach on the camera.

Watch this link, he did the same, he recorded the video in each house using the same sequence, then he edited the video over lapping the 3 videos and matching the music time.

Thanks for the suggestions.. that is kinda what I was not wanting to do, but I think it will have to happen that way.. I actually don't have anything on my house at all this year.. my first LOR year. All on the ground and in the trees.

I even tried a fish eye lens for the Sony cam but everything looks so small because I have to get back so far..

Well, I guess I will just do the best I can..

plasma - i'm the one that did the show mixnight referenced. (flattered mix, thanks) I have a template build in my video editing software that allows me to literally drop the 3 raw clips into it, make some minor adjustments to get the overlap right, and boom it's done. if we could figure out how to get the raw video to me (and you could do it in 3 shots) i'd be happy to stitch it together for you. That area in my video is about 180' wide for comparison. PM me if you would like to chat.

Andy,

The video I took in the 3 positions didn't come out so good.. My wife, who's camera it is, missed the manual setting on the focus and the thing when in and out of focus over and over.. I will have to try again..

• The topic was locked