Light-O-Rama Forums

OK foks, need some help here

Guest guest

I have three 16 channel LOR controllers, 1 8 channel controller, and one usb 485 interface.

Everything is connected properly, software installed as per manufacturers instructions, and in the control panel COM 4 is assigned to the USB port (FTDI).

I downloaded the new hardware utility to make sure that I had the latest, I plugged a controller into the USB485 via cat 5 (lan) cable and the software cannot find the controller. Am I doing something wrong or do you think that there is an issue with the USB485?

Mike

Which cable, the cat5 or the usb? I have checked both. I am assuming that the USB is connected properly since Windows recognized the adapter (USB485). I changed cables (LAN Cat5) with no apparent change.

Mike

PS - LED on contoller just blinks indicating that there is no communication I assume.

Hey, I appreciate everyone. I am running WAY behind this year (this is my first year) and was hoping to finish tonight. Then I ran into this issue.

Oh well, isn't that usually how it goes?

Mike

No, there is no communication between the computer and the contollers. I want to upgrade the firmware, but I have to get the computer to talk to the contoller first. I am thinking that the USB485 is not working properly.

Right now, about five feet. I connected a short cable to update the firmware etc. before getting everything ready for the outside.

In addition, I have eight, 4-channel D-Light boards and the D-light hardware utility cannot find the controllers either.

Since I changed the cat5 cable, I am really thinking that the interface has an issue.

Without all you folks on here, I would be up the creek without the paddle! I appreciate you guys very much. Thank you!

Mike

Mike,

Don't quote me on this but if you're using the USB adapter, I think you're supposed to use the version of hardware utility that came with that adapter. That's what I'm currently using. Unless the new hardware utility works with the usb adaptor which I'm not for sure. You might find out from Dan on that.

Tom

Thanks Tom!

I am using the hardware utility that came on the CD with the USB485. Dan's website said to download the new hardware utility (which I did) and that did not help the situation.

Mike

Dennis, I have one controller hooked up on the center jack via the USB485. That is how I had it before and still no communication. I am almost convinced that there is a hardware issue with the adapter.

Thanks to Denis and all you wonderful Planet Christmas Folks, another problem solved!

Windows must install the drivers in a manner that LOR doesn't like. When I installed under the guidelines in the previous (excuse me guys, I just didn't look far enough - thanks again to Denis) post, it works!

Merry Christmas to all my PC friends!

Mike

(I edited this because I misspelled Denis' name!)