Light-O-Rama Forums

Amp?

MattRMayberry

I am currently using my home theater system to power my outside speakers.

Any suggestions about a cheap stereo amp I could use to power them instead of my surround sound lol :)

what are you using to get your sound from?

Your PC an Show Director, mDM-MP3

I have an old set of PC speakers from way back. They have a built in Amp. and plug directly in to my MP3. They have plenty of power.

I have seen them at Goodwill for about $3... I just happen to have them

Ramsey electronics has some amplifier kits, but I don't think any of them have the complete enclosure and all the fittings.

It is too bad Radio Shack no longer sells there simple, cheap 10W stereo amp. I'm using a really old receiver that has a dead tuner for the 1 night a year that I actually run speakers.

There are also things like these mono amps. You could use one for each speaker..

http://www.smarthome.com/5135/Compact-10-Watt-Audio-Amplifier-ELK-800/p.aspx

I got a cheap Pyle amp from Amazon.com. I have a Leviton Cat 5 jack and speaker jacks inside near the computer, these are connected to jacks on the outside near the porch. All I have to put outside is the speakers.

The Leviton jacks and necessary mounts, face plates, etc are available at Home Depot.

Jerry

-klb- wrote:

Ramsey electronics has some amplifier kits, but I don't think any of them have the complete enclosure and all the fittings.

I bought this 3-Watt stereo amplifier. I mounted it in a small plastic hobby box. This is sufficient power for the outdoor speakers so that they can be heard, but won't annoy the neighbors. Here's a picture of my audio and network set up:
IMG_3498.JPG