Light-O-Rama Forums

LED Rope Lights

imawlkr2

I am looking at getting/making a couple wireframes next year that will need lights. I am assuming the best lights for wireframes are rope lights. Where is the best place to get shorter, cutable, LED rope lights? I am only going to need a few feet of each color (red, green, white) so it isn't cost effective to buy in a 150' roll.

You can also use mini lights (incandestent or led). A number of places offer clips to hold the light to the wire frame (differnt sizes available). If you use clear lights and paint the bulbs you can make any length per color. Also available are clips with color caps (no worry about short lengths.
My first wireframes were rope light, now mini lights ONLY, as they are much easier to work with. With the correct paint you can use white bulbs and turn to a number of colors.

You can also use mini lights (incandestent or led). A number of places offer clips to hold the light to the wire frame (differnt sizes available). If you use clear lights and paint the bulbs you can make any length per color. Also available are clips with color caps (no worry about short lengths.
My first wireframes were rope light, now mini lights ONLY, as they are much easier to work with. With the correct paint you can use white bulbs and turn to a number of colors.

jeff bush wrote:

I got 2, 150 foot LED rope spools, can be cut every 3' from Sold by: kpage40 amazon, seller

I have had great success with these.

Can you post a link?

We used minis (LEDs) on our 11 new wire frames. We zip tied each light in place, one by one. It took forever, and is definitely a two person project, but it was well worth it. We bought light strings as close to the length we needed as we could find, and the color we wanted. Then we put a piece of shrink tubing over the lights that were not used. We heated the shrink tubing to shrink it to the light and then pinched the end closed with a pair of needle nosed pliers while still hot. Worked great, and our wire frames look awesome, with lights exactly where we want them, and the right color.

Any links to these clips? I was originally going to zip tie them, but that would be too much work I think.

I bought my rope light from Ace hardware and even though the package says do not cut....I did and it works fine. 18" sections were on sale for $5 after christmas. cuttable at the joint you can see approx 18" apart

I think you can get color caps for clear incandescent mini's. I have seen some wireframes lit using this method and they looked great. The looked much better than you can buy in the stores.

Jerry

Jerry, Where can we get those?

I have a son with Autism and I want to place a Autism Awareness Ribbon in the display. There is a lot there. Many colors. so if I could just build one and then change the colors as needed.

Anyone have any suggestions? First time trying to build a Wireframe.

Thanks

Could something like this be used on wireframes? I think this is like what some people are using now a days that don't have CCRs.

http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Changing-SMD5050-Lighting-2038kit/dp/B006JI8LT4/ref=sr_1_19?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1323438347&sr=1-19

You might want to contact CMoore60. His wife made the wire frames that I saw.

I did find the following....

http://www.christmas-light-source.com/Color-Caps_c_266.html

http://www.christmaslightshow.com/color-caps-for-minis-lights.html

Just google "color caps for mini lights", lots of choices.

Jerry