Light-O-Rama Forums

Storage

Frybread

OK I hate to even bring this up but.

Where does everything go? I built the two Jerry/Sprials so that they break down. The arches are sleeved. and the minis will stack but still that is a lot of stuff to put away..

Do you have any secrets to storing the cords and lights to reduce breakage and tangles. Is the "Ball" method really good? alas... it must be done.. and of course up here January is cold.:P

If you have single strings, the ball method is absolutely the way to go.

If you have 4 color bundles, I just treat them like extension cords. Flake them up in a coil, and set them in the tote.

The display that covers the end of a city block with 150,000 lights just fits in a 10x15 storage unit. We are about to add to that, with some of the new elements being built.

The display for the house, both Christmas and Halloween fit in a 5x10..

I wrap my loose strings (4 color bundles) on these...and then store them in 30 - 33 gal tubs...

usually on sale after Christmas for less than a $1

Attached files 290330=16061-356556.png

Storage totes, well labeled of course, are my best friend. Rolling your lights up in the "ball" method has worked great for me. I just stack all the totes in my basement off season. One thing I do do every year is after I take my lights down and bring them in I leave them out in the basement or house for a week or so to ensure they are completely dry before I go locking them in a tote.

For smaller stands (singles) I use the ball method-and then put them into Zip loc gallon frezzer bags.

They are sturdy plastic and keep the lights from getting into each other and provide a bit of a cushion.

I keep them in labeled stackable interlocking lid containers I get from Costco.

Guest Don Gillespie

Frybread wrote:

and of course up here January is cold.:P

You don't know what cold is LOL :D I use storage containers for lights, sheds for wire frames, garage for extension cords and everything else, then come sept I start untangling everything

I dump everything into totes and put a note on the top one:

"Dear Eric of the future,

Sorry about the mess.

Signed,
Eric of today"

Seriously, I stack my mini's after wrapping them in newspaper (so the lights don't tangle - learned that after the first year).

My mega tree gets bungee-corded together and put in the rafters.

Net lights all laid out and folded up nicely

CCRs are new for me this year, but I plan on taking them off the arch (PVC) and putting them back in the original box

I should probably label things better, especially the extension cords (they all look alike!)

ericnagel wrote:

"Dear Eric of the future,

Seriously, I stack my mini's after wrapping them in newspaper (so the lights don't tangle - learned that after the first year).

Great Idea. Thank you.. Have to remember that one.

I use the ball method on all our 3-color super-strands and then I put those into storage tubs and then I put those into a cheap metal 10'x12' shed out back in the woods. :D

Our 10' arches just go on racks out in another shed(not quite in the woods).

Our 10' EZ trees just collapse around the 3/4" EMT conduit and we use three Velcro straps to hold all the lights in place and then we walk those(like you were carrying a pig to roast) out back to the same shed the 10' arches go in.

Our 2' minitrees get stacked into two 8 high columns and put in the metal shed too.

Then all the extension cords go in tubs in the metal shed.

If everything is dry I can get it put away in a weekend. If it's wet then I let things dry out near the pellet stove for a few days/week before they get stored.

I have a 10ft x 8ft shed, I call it the "Holiday Hut" and it has my Christmas/Halloween lights.

I built it up this year, and my 20ft arches are split in 2 and laid up on the roof, which is protected by my 2nd floor (see pic)

Attached files 290787=16083-HolidayHut.JPG

To store my mini incans, I take the male plug end and hold it in between my fingers and my palm and then I bring my hand back toward my shoulder and loop the lights under my arm and over my thumb untill completely wound up. Then I hold onto them release my thumb and put a peice of black electrical tape around the top side and the bottom side of the bundle. To unwind them, I untape or cut the tape and grab the female end and unwind them, 99.9 % of the time it is no problem. I do this with all of my 35's, 50's, 100's and have done this for 25 years or more. I started storing them in plastic totes about 5 years ago instead of boxes. I also use the natual curl of the extension cords to hand wind them up in about a 1 to 2 foot circle depending on the cord lenth and then tape the bundle up on the top and bottom. I also clean all of my small cords and take the male and female ends and bring them together and then fold that cord end back to the plugs and again and again depending on what the cord length is. Then I put all 6, 9, 12, 15, 20 footers in there own plastic tote and label each with what size they are. All of my made up wiring cord packs get rolled and taped and put into totes also. My ice cicle lights are all mounted on PVC pipes so I put about 12-14" steel rods in the wall in my garage and simply take my lights down and slide them up over the rods and let them all hang down. I do the same for my arches since they are wrapped on the pipe and not the sleeve type.
Wayne