Light-O-Rama Forums

My Controller arrives Monday... where to start??

Champion Sound Entertainment

To my fellow exterior lumination addicts. I need your help. So Im pretty addicted to this thing they call christmas. This year is bigger than ever. Just added 14,000 lights to the already 20,000...and even though the house always gets a lot of compliments, ive always felt it was missing something...and that something was found here at LOR.

I only purchased a 16 channel controller, even though im sure that as soon as i get this thing rolling i will need much much more. But I have no idea where to start. I flipped through the PDF instruction manual... but at 541 pages, overwhelming is a understatement.

So where do I start, id like to be able to get this software semi programed so that when the controller arrives on monday I can plug it in and get it into action.

What program do I use? There are 13 programs in the download, and im not sure which one to use. How to begin programming it, etc etc. Im sure im not the first one to be clueless when it comes to the software so please if there is some tutorial that i missed, or some forum for a new guy please post it my way.

Thank you all and have an awsome christmas!

-CSE

So, a real quick primer.

Sequence Editor - Where you create the sequences that make the lights go.
Show Editor - Where you create shows (from sequences) that you then ...
Schedule Editor - Used to schedule the shows you created.

The Hardware Utility is used to test/verify the controllers.

34,00 lights and 30 amps worth of controller. Be sure to keep an eye on your amp loads on the controller.

Take a look at the sample chases that come with the software. That will give you some idea how the sequence editor works.

It's a big learning curve, and Christmas is only just over 2 weeks away. This is a fun hobby, but you will get frustrated in the next two weeks. :(

Thanks for that - at least now i know where to begin playing. Im only planning on doing a real basic show this year with a few of my newly created designs (im a whiz with a jigsaw, plywood and a drill...) This is just a test run so that by next year when i add 96 channels ill be all ready to go!! Not to mention that i usually leave my lights up until valentines day.... My neighbors love me...:(

Alright so i think i got this this....

So basically i go into sequence editor> make a sequence. Add it to a show. Then schedule shows.

Does this look correct ?

sequencesample.png

SHOWEDITOR.png

SCHEDULEEDITORSAMPLE.png

Looks correct to me. Controlling lights only, no music sync, correct? Thats how you have it set up. Just make sure you have the correct com port configured so your PC "talks" to the Network adapter and the Network adapter "talks" to your controller.

Use the Hardware Utility to test your controller/lights. After you open, click on the auto config com port and it sets it up for you.

Also, dumb question...you did order a Network adpater to connect your PC to the controller? Just making sure you are aware that you need this.

Kevin

I ordered:

ShowTime PC CTB16PC. Fully Assembled
-and-

SPK-ST Generic Starter SPK-ST Package

1 65.85 Cable = 10ft Cat5 Cable
1 Connector = USB - USB485

and it came with a liscense code for software.

I hope thats all i need. I spoke with their rep on the phone and he said if im just runnning off a PC thats all i would need is the PC controller and a generic starter pkg.

Champion Sound Entertainment wrote:

I hope thats all i need. I spoke with their rep on the phone and he said if im just runnning off a PC thats all i would need is the PC controller and a generic starter pkg.

you are good to go..

HAVE FUN!!!!

Cracker wrote:

Looks correct to me. Controlling lights only, no music sync, correct? Thats how you have it set up. Just make sure you have the correct com port configured so your PC "talks" to the Network adapter and the Network adapter "talks" to your controller.

Use the Hardware Utility to test your controller/lights. After you open, click on the auto config com port and it sets it up for you.

Also, dumb question...you did order a Network adpater to connect your PC to the controller? Just making sure you are aware that you need this.

Kevin
How do I go about putting music to the show?

you pick a song you like...I mean, REALLY REALLY like as you are going to hear it a couple hundred times even before your show BEGINS!!

Then you create a NEW Musical Sequence (as opposed to an Animation (no music)...

It will ask you what audio file you want to use (and you should be putting your MP3's (or WAV..or any of the other audio files LOR supports) into the Audio file..which is under My Documents>Light-O-Rama>Audio.

I myself have two folders within the Audio folder..one WAV folder and one MP3 folder.

You wil come to find out you will want to use a WAV file to do your sequencing as MP3's get out of sync pretty easily..it's a Constant Bit Rate thing...

so you will also want to download Audacity...a free download...also download the LAME file:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

http://lame1.buanzo.com.ar/

or you could just follow the manual that Mr. Bullard so kindly pointed out... :P

In addition to what has been added here I would suggest downloading a song sequence or two of Christmas music you really like. Something that you have an idea about the beat, etc. Some folks here will let you have a sequence or two and some have the mp3 with it. pull it up in the sequence editor and look at how others have done a particular song. gives you an idea of how to apply effects and such to your particular lights/props. Worked wonders for me and the folks here are a lot of help.

Thanks for all the help fellas. Im pretty loaded with a concert were doing friday, but as soon as the weekend hits - im going to get this all set up and hopefully coordinated so that when the unit comes monday, I can plug and play. But me and computers dont get along so good so i dont plan for it to be that easy.

Thanks again and merry christmas!

-CSE

jimswinder wrote:

you pick a song you like...I mean, REALLY REALLY like as you are going to hear it a couple hundred times even before your show BEGINS!!

Then you create a NEW Musical Sequence (as opposed to an Animation (no music)...

It will ask you what audio file you want to use (and you should be putting your MP3's (or WAV..or any of the other audio files LOR supports) into the Audio file..which is under My Documents>Light-O-Rama>Audio.

I myself have two folders within the Audio folder..one WAV folder and one MP3 folder.

You wil come to find out you will want to use a WAV file to do your sequencing as MP3's get out of sync pretty easily..it's a Constant Bit Rate thing...

so you will also want to download Audacity...a free download...also download the LAME file:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

http://lame1.buanzo.com.ar/

or you could just follow the manual that Mr. Bullard so kindly pointed out... :P

I watched your video with the Mariah Carey tune. Amazing show! Are you able to change the color of the bulbs because of LED?

I watched your video with the Mariah Carey tune. Amazing show! Are you able to change the color of the bulbs because of LED?
well....

that was SUPPOSED to be the plan this year with LOR announcing they would be selling CCB's (Cosmic Color Bulbs).

So where you saw my "Streamers" going from the top of my Mini Trees to the top of my Weber tree on the roof, I had planned on replacing with CCB's, which like the CCR's, you could control each individual bulb for color and when it went on or off...

But....apparently there was a problem with the manufacturing of the CCB's and they did not pass LOR's quality testing.

So what you see in the video (and pic below) are (9) "Streamers"...each streamer was 60' long consisting of (6) sections of 10' 3/4" PVC, each wrapped with 4 strings of 50ct LED's (Red, Green, Blue, White). So, no I was not changing the color of the bulbs, but did have 216 strings (54 sections of 10' PVC) that I could individually control each color.

I've already had requests this year to bring them back...but it was the weight of them that toppled my Weber tree last year...so keeping my fingers crossed for the release of he CCB's this year...

Attached files 289976=16039-Christmas House.jpg

So I got the PC version coming because they were out of stock of the stand alone controllers. So im trying to figure out what is going to be the best way to handle this. Ill be utilizing a generator to run all the power, and a dedicated laptop to run the controller. Am I going to just have to bite the bullet and run a load of extension cords... or is there a cable I can purchase that can reach about 20-25 ft. so i can keep the controller in the yard and the PC inside ?

Generator?

Is it a generator or inverter?

Does it output a sine wave or a square wave?

The controllers are very picky about the zero crossing point.

Good luck.

So I got the PC version coming because they were out of stock of the stand alone controllers. So im trying to figure out what is going to be the best way to handle this. Ill be utilizing a generator to run all the power, and a dedicated laptop to run the controller. Am I going to just have to bite the bullet and run a load of extension cords... or is there a cable I can purchase that can reach about 20-25 ft. so i can keep the controller in the yard and the PC inside ?
the pc connects to a USB converter which connects to Cat5 so to answer your question you can have the laptop inside and run the Cat5 thru a door or window outside. the power for the controller can come from an outside source (see other comments on using a generator).