Light-O-Rama Forums

Pluging in LOR Controllers

Guest guest

I'm buying the LOR 128 channel kit, How do you plug all these boxes into normal house outlets

Aren't the house plugs only 15amps? And doesn't each box need 30amps.

Will I need to get an electrician to install a separate box? Ok i'm a newbie...

Each box can handle 30 Amps. So you would have to put one half on one breaker and the other on another. I don't think most people max their boxes out so I usually spread mine out across two breakers,etc.

For this many channels I would probable go the better route and install more outlets dedicated to the LOR. If you search this forum you will find many threads that support this. 1 major reasons is that your exisitng circuits already probably have loads on them from other exisiting things in your house such as lights fridges etc. Not to mention those items you plyg in on occasion such as hair dryers etc. Without proper power you run a fire hazard risk as well as damaging electronics. Just my 2 cents.

Woolfman

Jetboat man wrote:

I'm buying the LOR 128 channel kit, How do you plug all these boxes into normal house outlets

Aren't the house plugs only 15amps? And doesn't each box need 30amps.

Will I need to get an electrician to install a separate box? Ok i'm a newbie...

I like many others here have a separate electrical panel installed just to power the LOR boxes. Granted this is my first year with just 16 channels but I was looking into my future power requirements when I installed the separate electrical panel.

The power load on my LOR box looks like this:
Channels 1 to 8 = 8.2 Amps
Channels 9 to 16 = 7.8 Amps
Total Amperage for the 16 channels = 16 Amps
While this "could" have been run from one power feed, I run this LOR controller with two separate 20 Amp power feeds from one phase of the electrical box.
Both 20 Amp power feeds are also GFCI protected and yours should be also to meet the electrical code.

Hope this helps and welcome to the addictive world of animated lighting! :happytree:

I ran out of money for the 125 amp panel this year so I had to improvise 'again'.

To power my controllers this year................

I have two cords running through the window into my daughters room, two cords running in through my bedroom window. Four cords into the garage, and two more in through the front door.

My living room can lights flicker to the beat on two of my songs so we just turn off those lights to keep the headaches down to a minimum.:]

-Darrell