Light-O-Rama Forums

I just saw the Angry Birds video

light geek

I just saw the angry birds video and had to jump in. Who can tell me what all I need to be able to do something like that.

Does it cost a lot to pay somebody to set up the lights?

How do I get it on the local radio station?

Where can I find the sequence?

How much should I spend on my first year?

Who has the best LED Lights?

thanks!

light geek wrote:

I just saw the angry birds video and had to jump in. Who can tell me what all I need to be able to do something like that.

**YES!!**

Don't think they can see a light show on a Radio Station**

**You have to make it yourself..**

**How much do you have?**

**China**

thanks!

jimswinder wrote:

light geek wrote:

**YES!!**

Don't think they can see a light show on a Radio Station**

**You have to make it yourself..**

**How much do you have?**

**China**

thanks!

**YES!!** It is already December. How can I find somebody to put them up for me. I do not know that much about electricity or how to put up lights.

Don't think they can see a light show on a Radio Station** No, how do I get my songs to play on the radio station while the lights are blinking to the music?

**You have to make it yourself..** I would rather download it and figure out how to make it work, if you pleas.

**How much do you have?** More than most people earn in a year.

**China** Who sells lights from China that are the best and cheapest here in the USA

thanks!

Hey Light Geek...

sorry, was being my usual smart ass self....

For most of us this is a year round hobby...not really one you can decide to do one day and have it up and running the next....

The video you probably saw took him a LOOOONG time to do...and I would guess he has been doing it for a number of years...

but seriously...to answer your questions:

We use a low powered FM transmitter...cost is anywhere from $100 on up...good one are around $200**

**This is a relatively new "song" being done...so probably not many people have sequenced it (I just did it, though not as good as the one you saw I am sure) so usually you have to search for it, or ask if any one is willing to share it on a forum like this****

**One 16 channel Controller pre-built is about $250.

http://www.lightorama.com/ShowtimePC.html

Each set of lights (LED) can cost anywhere form $12 to $15 per STRING! How many do you need? Only you can answer that? AND that is not the total cost...you need the LOR software, lots of extension cords, misc list of other things..and something you cannot buy...LOTS of time...**

**A lot of us get them from CDI (Creative Displays Inc.) and they usually have a pre-order sale after the first of the year.

http://www.creativedisplays.com/**

Before you jump into I would suggest you do a lot of research and reading...

Or maybe find someone who has a display close to you and go and see it...even contact the owner...I am sure they would be happy to answer all your questions... (so where are you from?)

It is not a hobby for the faint of heart...

so who do I contact to give me sequences and songs?

from weatherford oklahoma. I don't see a vendor near me to call to get to install the lights. Do you think a local garden supply house would do it?

light geek wrote:

so who do I contact to give me sequences and songs?

most songs are available on iTunes or Amazon...Google it and see if you can find it (since it is illegal to share songs)...

as for sequences...do what you have already done...ask and see if anyone is willing to share it with you...

but without the hardware, software, lights, etc a sequence does you no good...
you know.

I may sound a little skeptical... but in this thread you come across as a newbie..

but yet, in this thread you sound like you have done this before??? :shock:

http://forums.lightorama.com/forum95/30758.html

Newbie! Yes, very new. As far as the suggestion to move files from the SD Card to the computer then back again, well that doesn't take a rocket scientist to think of it (no insult intended to those that didn't think of this or the original poster). As far as S3 goes, I have learned from reading that if you have a S2 sequence and save it under S3, it will not be S2 compatible anymore.

I do not know what S3 hardware would do to the S2 file.

In other words, I am smarter than the average bear here and proposed the only logical solution based on my level of expertise with computers, networks, file transfers and now S3.

This sequenced lighting stuff is pretty cool! With all due respect from one newbie to another, slow down a bit. Realistically, this isn't going to be a reality this year unless you have lots of dollars (and a pile of luck) to throw at it.

Are you doing this yourself or looking at having it done for you? Are you in an area that may have restrictions on your display (HOA, city ordinances, etc)?

First, determine what you want. You've decided to get into the sequenced lighting arena, but what exactly are you trying to accomplish? What are your goals?

"These displays aren't an off the shelf kit, each has been carefully planned and crafted by the folks that have put them together, and it didn't happen in a week's time. Some are true works of art, and there are a few out there that... aren't.

Take some time and know where you are going (display wise). You'll need to know this even if you hire the job done.

Once you determine that, then start planning the layout desired and figuring out how many channels you'll need to run it in the fashion you wish.

Define how many channels are need and ultimately how many controllers will need to be utilized. Don't forget that each of those channels will need at least one extension cord.

You will then need to perform load calculations for each of the elements to make sure you aren't overloading a channel. That criteria will be dependant on the controller configuration.

Then, figure out what each element (arch, tree, string, etc.) would cost and make sure you factor that into your overall cost. It might shock you just how fast the dollar signs add up!

In my opinion, the sequencing is going to be secondary to knowing what it is you'll be working with. In other words, if you work out sequences for 500 channels, but can only afford 16 with all of the elements, then the sequencing work is mostly wasted.

Hope this helps!

De Trommelslager wrote:

and it didn't happen in a week's time. Some are true works of art, and there are a few out there that... aren't.

ahhh.. .so YOU are the one who stopped by and saw my show!!!! :P

you will then need to perform load calculations for each of the elements to make sure you aren't overloading a channel. That criteria will be dependent on the controller configuration.

this isn't really a consideration if you are running all LED's..like you mentioned in your original post you wanted to buy...I run over 60,000 LED's (35 controllers and 12 CCR's) on (4) 15 amp breakers..that also have house stuff on them... with no problems

light geek wrote:

Newbie! Yes, very new. As far as the suggestion to move files from the SD Card to the computer then back again, well that doesn't take a rocket scientist to think of it (no insult intended to those that didn't think of this or the original poster). As far as S3 goes, I have learned from reading that if you have a S2 sequence and save it under S3, it will not be S2 compatible anymore.

In other words, I am smarter than the average bear here and proposed the only logical solution based on my level of expertise with computers, networks, file transfers and now S3.

This whole lighting thing shouldn't be hard for you to figure out then huh? Most of us here are less than average and we figured it out. (sorta):P

Paul Roberson wrote:

Most of us here are less than average and we figured it out. (sorta):P

thanks for lifting me a notch higher than where I usually am!! ;)

jimswinder wrote:

De Trommelslager wrote: 
and it didn't happen in a week's time. Some are true works of art, and there are a few out there that... aren't.

ahhh.. .so YOU are the one who stopped by and saw my show!!!!  :D

Was that your show I saw?? :D

light geek wrote:

Actually, a sequenced save with S3 can work in S2, provided some of the S3 features are not used. Most importantly - Channel Groups. A S3 sequence with Channel Groups will not open in S2/

S3 hardware and S2 software play nicely with each other. No worries.

jimswinder wrote:

De Trommelslager wrote: 

ahhh.. .so YOU are the one who stopped by and saw my show!!!!  :D

you will then need to perform load calculations for each of the elements to make sure you aren't overloading a channel. That criteria will be dependent on the controller configuration.

this isn't really a consideration if you are running all LED's..like you mentioned in your original post you wanted to buy...I run over 60,000 LED's (35 controllers and 12 CCR's) on (4) 15 amp breakers..that also have house stuff on them... with no problems

Or you could just be like me and see if anything blows, which 2 fuses did and the breaker about 20 times. I didn't have a meter, so that worked for me although I wouldn't recommend it.

light geek wrote:

In other words, I am smarter than the average bear here

Modesty is one of your strong points, too, eh?....:):D:D:D

Hang around for awhile, you'll meet some other very intelligent bears.