Light-O-Rama Forums

Why do we do it?

Jim Hans

Last night I was outside taking some pictures and a lady in a car called me over. She had a little boy in her car who was about 6 and he was singing and smiling. She thanked me for doing the light show. She went on to say that this has been an extremely bad year for her family and tonight was the first time her son has laughed and smiled in a long time! That one smile made it all worth it; the frustrations, the time involved, the money spent, the sore muscles and cut fingers.... None of that matters when you can bring a smile to a child!

All of us in this crazy hobby are all truly blessed. We may never know the joy we bring to others or how by putting up a few strings of lights we can provide a brief respite for those in need of a smile but that little boy last night was my reminder. God bless and Merry Christmas.

Awesome!! I love hearing stories like these. You are so right. We will never really know how many lives our displays touch in a positive way.:)

Ditto, I have no kids myself, single 29 years old and just want to spread the spirit.

Im in a decent sized subdivision and one the first night I had a lot of people show up asking a ton of questions. The kids expressions watching is worth it all. People ask if I take donations, I do not but Toys for Tots does!

I am a single 59 year old guy with no family and no "significant other(s)" in my life.
I can get pretty down at times and especially this last couple of years have been brutal on me with health troubles and no work for income.
I didn't do my display last year and folks were pretty saddened by it.
I decided that since I was not working much and even though it was a tough haul to get the stuff set up, that I had to do it this year.
Maybe it was as much for my own peace of mind as well as for the other folks who stop by to see it, but it has helped me a little.
And I have people thanking me for doing it again everyday.

I do get that misty eyed feeling when the little kids say Thank You. That really makes it worth it to me.

Bill

I tell my family and friends that I'm on a mission from GOD to bring happiness to my community. And they smile. Yea! it works. But I'm still tired!

I'm tired too but when you see the eyes of the children it's really worth it. :-)

For the last 3 years i watched my friend work his behind off on his display of some 50,000 lights. Every weekend dressing up as Santa and fielding questions from people like me asking how it works. I finally got fed up with setting on the side lines and bought the LOR software last christmas and in September got a controler. I have been running my show since Thanksgiving. What a blessing. This season I feel I have become a member of a small group of people who bust their butts just so others light up with joy. I love hearing the stories of how a smiple light show brings so much joy to the people who pass by. I now know why you do it. God bless

miaskiewicz christian wrote:

I'm tired too but when you see the eyes of the children it's really worth it. :-)

Absolutely Agree !!!!! Smiling, bouncing around in the car and the parents saying "we just love it".

That does give me energy and happiness in my heart.