Light-O-Rama Forums

Show Shuffle

Guest guest

I have three musical sequences in a show. I have shuffle selected. It will never play all three songs in the show. It will play either one if them three times, or one a single time, and then another two times. The length of the show in the scheduler is set to be long enough to let all three songs play.

Basically I want it to play them in a different order everytime, but not play any of them more than once during a show.

What might be going on?

P.S. I set a new show up with a new name, and put that in the scheduler to eliminate kind of show problem. It also seems that this has shown up since I put on 1.6.1, but it could be coincidence. (I think I just decided to use shuffle on Sunday right after 1.6.1 came out.)

kpguy wrote:

I have three musical sequences in a show. I have shuffle selected. It will never play all three songs in the show. It will play either one if them three times, or one a single time, and then another two times. The length of the show in the scheduler is set to be long enough to let all three songs play.

Basically I want it to play them in a different order everytime, but not play any of them more than once during a show.

What might be going on?

P.S. I set a new show up with a new name, and put that in the scheduler to eliminate kind of show problem. It also seems that this has shown up since I put on 1.6.1, but it could be coincidence. (I think I just decided to use shuffle on Sunday right after 1.6.1 came out.)

The shuffle algorithm isn't that great. From my experience, shuffle's random order only changes each day. That is, if you run the show for 10 minutes and your songs play AAB (and C is skipped), then everytime you run the show that night it will be AAB. Tomorrow will be a different order, but every show today will start AAB. With that said, the shuffle alogrithm has no problem with playing the same song 2 or 3 times in a row. I think a combination of these factors are producing the results you are seeing. There's no way to tell shuffle not to repeat a song.

There is no easy fix for this. The only thing I can think of is to make 6 shows so you have every possible combination, and schedule these shows to run in an "artificial" order you specify. Maybe someone else has some other ideas, but I think it's the short run time that is causing your problem.

I have had a problem with the shuffle feature as well. Sometimes it plays the same song two,three times in a row.

I decided to use the standard feature. I didn't want to bug Dan at LOR on this issue this late into the season.