Light-O-Rama Forums

analog pixel and newb questions

confinisher67

I just started getting a litle more serious about christmas lights this year, and started looking around and asking myself questions. and wow! im just a concrete construction worker, it seems like all you guys are electro engineers. I bought a case of meteor lights, my next year project is to make a spiral tree, which it looks like im gonna have to make a small version in the garage over the summer to even begin to get a understanding of them, cause im not understanding the directions im reading off forums, im hoping the programming on the comp wont shut me down by lack of understanding.

Now the questions, i kept noticing on youtube that people can make 1 bulb change to many different colors, so looking into it i came across the rgb analog pixels is there any chance that these can be used by a newb with a major lack of understanding electronics? i was hoping that you could just buy them hook a bunch together and use a controller to do some pre programmed stuff. and if you can only run lets say 1000 per controller can the controllers be synced together, and i read somewhere that if ya wanted to make them chase and do individual things you would need 3 channels per bulb, or is it 3 channels per string? I really wish there was a local hands on gathering of christmas light addicts in illinois to get a better understanding. most of the forums use abreviations and everything sounds like a different language.I notice reading about the pixels that ya need voltage regulators in them..i emailed a company on alibaba he said theyres come in strings of 40 and can hook 1000 together total and use there controller to controll them, but on forums it sounds more complicated than that...sorry my post sounds like jibberish but it is exactly how confusing all the christmas light tech stuff sounds to me..if anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly apreciated. need local school of christmas light newbs

When using the RGB pixels to do a chase, you do NOT use 3 channels per string, you use 3 channels per bulb.

So to use 1000 RGB pixels, you would need to sequence 3000 channels per song.

My unsolicited advice,first learn the software and hardware using ordinary single color Christmas light strings, then, you might find it less confusing to jump to 3000 channels at a later time.

Yes, the RGB pixels are cool, but.... a great deal more effort and understanding is required to use them then just regular lights.

ive been wondering if you could take single strands of pixels to wrap the tree in a spiral each strand have a small power supply and a small wireless sub controller being controlled by the main dmx controller for color changes,fades and patterns while the small individual subs being plugged into the lor controller for the turning on and off for the spinning effect. that way the tree can be whatever color ya want.
and have lotsa cheaper dmx channels to control effects and lor just make it spin?
anyone know if this is possible?

im not gonna start off with music, just static display to start just wanna get tree goin for main focus 1st next year, was trying to avoid buying allota same color lights for tree that i would have to find a place to use elsewhere later. instead have just 1 kind that can be any color i can keep adding to

confinisher67 wrote:

ive been wondering if you could take single strands of pixels to wrap the tree in a spiral each strand have a small power supply and a small wireless sub controller being controlled by the main dmx controller for color changes,fades and patterns while the small individual subs being plugged into the lor controller for the turning on and off for the spinning effect. that way the tree can be whatever color ya want.
and have lotsa cheaper dmx channels to control effects and lor just make it spin?
anyone know if this is possible?

im not gonna start off with music, just static display to start just wanna get tree goin for main focus 1st next year, was trying to avoid buying allota same color lights for tree that i would have to find a place to use elsewhere later. instead have just 1 kind that can be any color i can keep adding to

Yes, that can be done, you will just need to select the correct hardware and light strings that are compatible with each other

anyone wouldnt happen to have a link to what type of hardware settup i would need, and a blueprint how it is all hooked together? i must be just missing something i would think somewhere there would be in depth directions on how to do this, i see lotsa info on how just to wrap the lights around, but they never show how everything is hooked up to lor controllers. let alone doing it in pixel lights with dmx and lor working together.

confinisher67 wrote:

anyone wouldnt happen to have a link to what type of hardware settup i would need, and a blueprint how it is all hooked together? i must be just missing something i would think somewhere there would be in depth directions on how to do this, i see lotsa info on how just to wrap the lights around, but they never show how everything is hooked up to lor controllers. let alone doing it in pixel lights with dmx and lor working together.

It usually is not that simple that a single "blueprint" would cover all situations with pixel strings.

First of all, what kind of protocol do the pixels use?
1804, 2801, 30xx, 6803, etc. Lots of different choices in pixel strings, that are not compatible with each other.

Then you need controllers that can output the correct protocol that the pixels can understand.

The normal LOR controllers cannot talk to the pixel strings.

Then how do you want to transport the DMX signal? And what "kind of DMX"? Raw DMX from the LOR software, HyperDMX or DMX over E1.31 ?

In your earlier post, you stated using 1000 pixels. That would be almost 6 DMX universes that would have to be set up, very aggressive undertaking.

What voltage do the "chosen" pixel strings use? 5, 12, 24 volts DC ?

3 or 4 wire control pixels?

Tell us which pixel protocol that you have chosen then we can assist with the controller and wiring portion of your questions, since they are almost all different.

Here is one "blueprint" compliments of fasteddy that can give you an idea as to how it all hooks together.

Good luck.

Attached files rgb layout rev 1.4.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

thank you for the pdf, ive found some stuff on stellascapes and pixad so now i can picture better what i was reading about it kinda looks like ya have a choice between either a spiral tree with reg lights and lor controller or pixel tree with effects from a madrix software, which is a lil more than i hoped on price..lol
i still have lots of time to keep reading and talking to folks.was just getting anxious after seeing these things
i may have to just start with a reg spiral tree till i can get a better grasp on all this high tech electrial stuff..this seems almost like a electrical engineers hobby
doing this stuff, but i wont let it discourage me..thank you again for the pdf

confinisher67
Hi to another one from IL (me too), this is my first year with LOR there is a lot to learn and many ways to do the same thing and you jumped in the deep end first with those questions. If you have a lot of time and money I'm sure you can figure it out here. There is a lot to learn I suggest starting a little smaller your Spiral tree would be perfect first year project. I know I have seen some good How to’s some place. I may be able to help with my limited knowledge so feel free to ask.

Mike