Light-O-Rama Forums

My Radio Station Got Hi-Jacked

Melvin Stoddard

Last year and since Thankgiving this year I have always broadcasted on 99.7. Tonight I went out to watch and listen a little and in front of my house and in certain spots I heard Mariachi music and a Spainish voice singing. This is right across the street from my house. Guess what, we have a new spainish speaking station in town. So I pull up my signs take them inside and with white duct and magic markers change my station numbers, adjust my radio transmitter. I go back out and there are six or seven cars watching but I don't think they have the right station, I kind of wave the signs at the cars. Well the new station is find. I just hope rain doesn't wash off magic markers until I get permanent ones.

There is a religious station whose primary frequency I can hear clearly from here. For some unknown reason, they have set up a 50W repeater between me, and the original transmitter. From what I understand, they have a history of running unlicensed transmitters. Oh well, since they are already (most likely illegally) trampling on 3 different distant stations considered unlistenable here (without directional antennas) I'll get through this year on the same frequency, and a method none of us would advise... Next year I'll pick something different, and look into starting a municipal application for the 50W LPFM station.

Your not going to believe this! I turned on my radio to 99.1 FM on my way to work the other day before thanksgiving, and there's music on it! I went to the website to see whats up.

http://www.radio-locator.com/info/W256BU-FX

And turns out the owners of 105.7 FM (Townsquare Media of Albany, Inc.) Was just granted a License to the broadcast rights to 99.1 FM on October 05 2011.

I got a hold of the owner, Was able to get written permission to use it for this year. That they are broadcasting 105.7 on 99.1 as a test run for now, and the new station will not be up until next year sometime. But that really sucks!

I have been using 103.1 in our area for the last year and low and behold on the Friday before Thanksgiving, our local sports AM station decided to start broadcasting on 102.9, unfortunately they are broadcasting at a pretty high level and there is just a hint of bleed over, luckily I was able to make a quick change on our sign before sending it to the print shop . No harm no foul but I will most likely have to make a change for next years shows.

I have had a radio station online every year since 2004 and have NEVER heard anything on the frequency. This year, however is a differnt story.

I just found out that there is a Class D FM Translator now on this freq. Oddly enough it is the EXACT same programming that is occuring on 91.1 which is a Christian College out of Pensacola Fl. (I live in Huntsville TX... go figure) ..

89.7 is a Class D FM Translator owned by KPFT out of Houston (100 miles away). I read up on Class D which are LPFM stations. The best I can determine is they are NOT protected from Part 15 transmissions. However... After reading and rereading the information about Class D, my eyes glazed over, my heart started palpataing and I'm pretty sure I saw a UFO outside the window.

Anyone have any info on Class D licenses? They arent even listed at radio-locator.com.

My station still covers out to the street as it always has. Actually living in a rural area, it used to reach the end of the street, but now its pretty much the front of the house.

Radio... Ramsy FM25B, OEM telecoping antenna.

bob_moody wrote:

I have had a radio station online every year since 2004 and have NEVER heard anything on the frequency. This year, however is a differnt story.

I just found out that there is a Class D FM Translator now on this freq. Oddly enough it is the EXACT same programming that is occuring on 91.1 which is a Christian College out of Pensacola Fl. (I live in Huntsville TX... go figure) ..

89.7 is a Class D FM Translator owned by KPFT out of Houston (100 miles away). I read up on Class D which are LPFM stations. The best I can determine is they are NOT protected from Part 15 transmissions. However... After reading and rereading the information about Class D, my eyes glazed over, my heart started palpataing and I'm pretty sure I saw a UFO outside the window.

Anyone have any info on Class D licenses? They arent even listed at radio-locator.com.

My station still covers out to the street as it always has. Actually living in a rural area, it used to reach the end of the street, but now its pretty much the front of the house.

Radio... Ramsy FM25B, OEM telecoping antenna.

http://transition.fcc.gov/lpfm/

here is more info but you need to be a educational location or public works to get one

50W wow I have a .5 W and it is cranked back to .2 W and I get about 1/4 mile.

-klb- wrote:

There is a religious station whose primary frequency I can hear clearly from here. For some unknown reason, they have set up a 50W repeater between me, and the original transmitter. From what I understand, they have a history of running unlicensed transmitters. Oh well, since they are already (most likely illegally) trampling on 3 different distant stations considered unlistenable here (without directional antennas) I'll get through this year on the same frequency, and a method none of us would advise... Next year I'll pick something different, and look into starting a municipal application for the 50W LPFM station.

These arent the same stations. These are actual licensed LPFM stations. The ones I'm looking at are FM Translators.

Licensed LPFM can originate thier own broadcasts. The Class D translator is nothing more than a repeater station retransmitting what the parent station is broadcasting.

The plot thickens and the waters get muddier.

Melvin Stoddard wrote:

So I pull up my signs take them inside and with white duct and magic markers change my station numbers, adjust my radio transmitter.

That's why I got one of those outdoor LED signs this year...

I did notice that there was now music on the station I used last year...but it doesn't seem to be interfering with my broadcast... :)