Light-O-Rama Forums

unable to locate port

benjaminpalko

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same issue. It is unable to locate the port. I am running a computer on windows 7, and installed the drivers on the cd prior to hooking it up. I am only running the HWU and keep getting an error message. The device manager does not have any yellow question marks near the USB ports. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

try bending the wire different ways, sometimes its a bad usb connection, cat5e cable, or bad adapter. Did you try more than 1 usb port?

My device manager does appear to recognize the USB adapter, so I do not think it is a bad cable or adapter. Any other ideas? I checked the driver version installed and the version on my computer matches the latest driver mentioned on the FTDI website.

you see no change in the Device manager when you plug/unplug the usb adapter?

If windows assigns a comm port above about 16, the Hardware utility will not find it. You will need to adjust the port down below 16 for the hardware utility to properly find it. This only applies once you get windows to recognize the usb adapter.

Chuck

also be sure that you have a controller connected and powered on to the usb adapter. the HWU wont find anything unless it actually sees a controller on the usb adapter.

The controller has a red blinking light on it, does that mean that it is turned on? The cat5 cable is plugged into the controller and the USB adapter. I have tested multiple cat5 cables to make sure it is not a bad cable.

Any suggestions for more troubleshooting?

Ok, blinking LED on controller says that controller is powered up, but does not get any watch dog signal. Now this means one of the following: 1) bad cable, 2) you do not have a lor program loaded and running a) Seq editor, :P HWU that has scanned for controllers (I dont know for sure if the LED will go solid unless you scan for controllers) c) a show enabled.

Sounds like you are at step 2 and either a, b, or c. Sounds like you are trying to use b the HWU. So instead of using auto configure, tell it Comm 3 and then try the refresh.

I installed and registered the LOR software. I made sure that the sequence editor is not actively open and that the light bulb icon is not in my system tray. I have the HWU open and am trying to auto configure. I do not have a show enabled right now.

I tried manually choosing COM3 and then hitting refresh, and it said that it found 0 controllers. any other ideas?

I had this problem so I have to ask. Is your USB cable still plugged into the same USB port? I found that if I plug into one USB port and checked the computers hardware page that it would come up say comm 3. But if I went away with the laptop and came back later and did not plug into the same USB port that it might come up comm 4. So are you in the same USB port that reported comm 3? If not, return to device manager and see what comm port it is now assigned to.

I installed LOR on a second computer at home, installed the drivers, then hooked it all up. I tried running teh HWU and am recieving the same error message. So, either I am missing a simple step over and over or there is a hardware issue???

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I tried manually setting the COM port and then hitting refresh, it just says "Found 0 Units" in the blank and the controller continues to flash red.

I have tried two different computers (Windows Vista on one & Windows 7 on the other), two different USB Cables, three different CAT5 Cables.

Yes, I did make sure to use the same USB output and that the COM Port in the device manager matched the COM port that I am manually choosing in the HWU.

Would anyone be available to do a quick teamviewer session as a sanity check to make sure that I am not missing something very simple?

Would anyone be available to do a quick teamviewer session as a sanity check to make sure that I am not missing something very simple?

Attached files 292634=16150-Screen Shot.png

Solution Found! The Unit ID inside the controller was preset to 0, 0. I moved the second dial to 1, and my computer immediately began recognizing the controller. My understanding is that LOR now presets the unit ID's to 0,1 so newbies like myself do not bang their heads against the wall trying to figure out why the computer won't recognize the controller. Thank you all for your help!!!