Light-O-Rama Forums

Random channel on 2 controllers sticks.

Guest guest

Yes you read that right. I have 2 controllers and all of a sudden during a sequence running in a show or alone, a random channel sticks. It will start working as soon as the channel has something to do. Tried resetting computer, changing to shorter data cables, deleting some software I added to the computer, reset the controllers by changing the sense wheels to 00, and tried another computer. Nothing worked. I took another cable and a laptop and went outside and connected to the controllers and ran a sequence and all was good!
So I reconnected the original equipment and the controllers went dead. Found out I had plugged the cable into the computer instead of the USB485 plug. Controllers LED is on again. YEA! Changed the cable and tested computer and show is good again. I had a bad 50 cable that came with the controller. So if anyone runs into some random channels sticking, check your cables. Want to also thank Don for his 2 nights of dealing with me going crazy and calling him to have him rush over. Thanks Don!

Bret

Ivsmaster wrote:

Yes you read that right. I have 2 controllers and all of a sudden during a sequence running in a show or alone, a random channel sticks. It will start working as soon as the channel has something to do. Tried resetting computer, changing to shorter data cables, deleting some software I added to the computer, reset the controllers by changing the sense wheels to 00, and tried another computer. Nothing worked. I took another cable and a laptop and went outside and connected to the controllers and ran a sequence and all was good!
So I reconnected the original equipment and the controllers went dead. Found out I had plugged the cable into the computer instead of the USB485 plug. Controllers LED is on again. YEA! Changed the cable and tested computer and show is good again. I had a bad 50 cable that came with the controller. So if anyone runs into some random channels sticking, check your cables. Want to also thank Don for his 2 nights of dealing with me going crazy and calling him to have him rush over. Thanks Don!

Bret
It appears the controller is getting a random command to turn on that channel. Have you upgraded to 1.6.1? There was an issue in 1.5.0 where a sequence could cause a random effect to happen. HOWEVER it was not random in all senses... This unexpected command would always occur at the same place during a sequence. Does this always happen at the same time/place in a sequence?

Dan,

Yes I upgraded to 1.6.1 but it happened on 1.5 also. 2 different computers even. It's all good now, it was a bad cable that came with the controller. We changed it and it tests and works good again on the 1.6.1.

Thanks,

Bret

Wayne Kremer wrote:

Bret, how did you determine that it was a bad CAT5 cable? I'm having this problem at a clients site and they are running 1.6.1. Thx!

Drug out the laptop and connected a short cable to the controller. I would assume that he went ahead and replaced the longer CAT5 going from his controller to the computer.

LightORama wrote:

Bret
It appears the controller is getting a random command to turn on that channel. Have you upgraded to 1.6.1? There was an issue in 1.5.0 where a sequence could cause a random effect to happen. HOWEVER it was not random in all senses... This unexpected command would always occur at the same place during a sequence. Does this always happen at the same time/place in a sequence?

Dan,

Just to give you more information ... I didnt' notice any quick fades near the sticking, I was watching for that. He had changed the channel configuration in well over a week, so we were able to rule that out. It did seem to be occuring near the same spot, though I only watched the sequences twice.

As Bret mentioned, once we ran a show from a laptop with a different cable, the problems went away.

Wayne,

as Don said I used a laptop and a short cat5 cable to the controllers and ran the show. I then changed the longer cable running to my desktop with another one Don provided and all is running good now.

Bret