Jump to content

Random channel on 2 controllers sticks.


Guest guest
 Share

Recommended Posts

Yes you read that right. I have 2 controllers and all of a sudden during a sequence running in a show or alone, a random channel sticks. It will start working as soon as the channel has something to do. Tried resetting computer, changing to shorter data cables, deleting some software I added to the computer, reset the controllers by changing the sense wheels to 00, and tried another computer. Nothing worked. I took another cable and a laptop and went outside and connected to the controllers and ran a sequence and all was good!
So I reconnected the original equipment and the controllers went dead. Found out I had plugged the cable into the computer instead of the USB485 plug. Controllers LED is on again. YEA! Changed the cable and tested computer and show is good again. I had a bad 50 cable that came with the controller. So if anyone runs into some random channels sticking, check your cables. Want to also thank Don for his 2 nights of dealing with me going crazy and calling him to have him rush over. Thanks Don!

Bret

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ivsmaster wrote:

Yes you read that right. I have 2 controllers and all of a sudden during a sequence running in a show or alone, a random channel sticks. It will start working as soon as the channel has something to do. Tried resetting computer, changing to shorter data cables, deleting some software I added to the computer, reset the controllers by changing the sense wheels to 00, and tried another computer. Nothing worked. I took another cable and a laptop and went outside and connected to the controllers and ran a sequence and all was good!
So I reconnected the original equipment and the controllers went dead. Found out I had plugged the cable into the computer instead of the USB485 plug. Controllers LED is on again. YEA! Changed the cable and tested computer and show is good again. I had a bad 50 cable that came with the controller. So if anyone runs into some random channels sticking, check your cables. Want to also thank Don for his 2 nights of dealing with me going crazy and calling him to have him rush over. Thanks Don!

Bret
It appears the controller is getting a random command to turn on that channel. Have you upgraded to 1.6.1? There was an issue in 1.5.0 where a sequence could cause a random effect to happen. HOWEVER it was not random in all senses... This unexpected command would always occur at the same place during a sequence. Does this always happen at the same time/place in a sequence?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dan,

Yes I upgraded to 1.6.1 but it happened on 1.5 also. 2 different computers even. It's all good now, it was a bad cable that came with the controller. We changed it and it tests and works good again on the 1.6.1.

Thanks,

Bret

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bret, how did you determine that it was a bad CAT5 cable? I'm having this problem at a clients site and they are running 1.6.1. Thx!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wayne Kremer wrote:

Bret, how did you determine that it was a bad CAT5 cable? I'm having this problem at a clients site and they are running 1.6.1. Thx!




Drug out the laptop and connected a short cable to the controller. I would assume that he went ahead and replaced the longer CAT5 going from his controller to the computer.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

LightORama wrote:

Bret
It appears the controller is getting a random command to turn on that channel. Have you upgraded to 1.6.1? There was an issue in 1.5.0 where a sequence could cause a random effect to happen. HOWEVER it was not random in all senses... This unexpected command would always occur at the same place during a sequence. Does this always happen at the same time/place in a sequence?

Dan,

Just to give you more information ... I didnt' notice any quick fades near the sticking, I was watching for that. He had changed the channel configuration in well over a week, so we were able to rule that out. It did seem to be occuring near the same spot, though I only watched the sequences twice.

As Bret mentioned, once we ran a show from a laptop with a different cable, the problems went away.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wayne,

as Don said I used a laptop and a short cat5 cable to the controllers and ran the show. I then changed the longer cable running to my desktop with another one Don provided and all is running good now.

Bret

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...