Light-O-Rama Forums

just starting out question

t_lathum

I thinking of getting the starter kit and then to add additional channels with the CMB16D-QC do it yourself kit to keep the cost down. Is that a good start. I will be using all LED light and and even think about LED rope lights.

the CMB-16 board is a DC controller. Its already built..not much DIY there.

Are you sure that is the controller you are thinking of?

Typical starter controller would be the CTB-16PC..or possibly the CTB-16K/D, depending on your needs.

That's just it..... I don't know, and I hate sounding so stupid, maybe I should have asked when would you use the CMB16D-QC board. I was just thinking about cost wise starting out. Purchasing the starter kit and then later on adding the CMB16D-QC as a second controller.

The starter kit provides an AC controller...for controlling typical Christmas lights..the ones that plug into a wall outlet.

Those same lights will not work with a CMB16D.

if you're simply controlling "plug them in the wall outlet" Christmas lights, nothing fancier than that, you'll want the same type of controller you get with the starter kit.

To save some money, depending on your technical skills, and skills with simple hand tools, you can get a partial kit, where you get the controller board and cords, but you installl them in the enclosure, rather than paying LOR to do it.

DC controlled lighting or elements that run on DC voltages, 5-60 V....like Rainbow Floods, or similar DC controller floods, or some types of LED strip lighting....just to name a few. The board is the same concept as a CTB-16PC, but for DC control versus AC.

Two very different animals..and not interchangeable.

So basically the CTB16PC will run pretty much anything for the most part... I'm looking at starting out with a couple of arches which I've already started building, a 15ft built Christmas tree made up of C7 and C9 led lights. I also picked up a from my uncle 3 spools of 3-Wire 1/2", chasing LED in White, Red and Blue Rope Light, 150' Commercial Spool that he had in his shop. I also have a couple of small flood lights that I never installed that I was thinking of using. Would the CTB16PC run these types of lights. By the way I not planning on trying to get this going till next Christmas, I just happen to be lucky enough to have my uncle give all this when he cleaned out his shop after he retired.

• 4 weeks later...

guys implanning to get the the 32 channels to control 3 mini trees and maybe a mega tree but I really like the rgb led strips for roof but I have no idea how does the dc board from LOR work, and how do u protect the board from the environment because I think that one doesn't come with the cover, do u guys have any pics of ur dc board set up that ur willing to share?

thanks in advance

Daniel

t_lathum wrote:

Okay, I get it now. So what is the CMB16D-QC primarily used for..what type of lights or setup.

My year round landscape lighting will ALL be 12V DC LEDs of one variety or another. I will have almost 60 channels in use on 3 CMB16D-QC DC controllers and 2 Servo Dogs (which I'm primarily using for the inputs, but some of the outputs will be used). If I do a Christmas show next year it will use a combination of DC and 120V AC lighting.

Jim