Light-O-Rama Forums

mp3 or mp4

trojan2b1984

does it matter if the audio file is mp3 or mp4. everything i have is in an mp4 format and i am having trouble getting music files into my lor audio file to do sequences. i keep following the instuctions but the music files just keep disappering. i'm confused and very frustrated. thanks for any help ken

trojan2b1984 wrote:

does it matter if the audio file is mp3 or mp4. everything i have is in an mp4 format and i am having trouble getting music files into my lor audio file to do sequences. i keep following the instructions but the music files just keep disappearing. I'm confused and very frustrated. thanks for any help ken
if memory serves me correct mp4 is more a protected iTunes format. you need to configure iTunes to let you create and mp3 of your song and that should work fine.

The following audio file types are supported by LOR:

aif, aifc, aiff, mid, midi, mi, mp2, mp3, mpa, au, snd, wav, wma.

Video files supported are:

avi, mpe, mpeg, mpg, miv, asf, wm, wmv

Easy work around. Burn your ITunes music into an Audio CD. Then use Media player to rip the CD into an MP3.

ITunes has added more security to their downloaded music. Most songs that I've downloaded now come up with an error saying that it can't be burned to MP3 format. It will however, let you make them into an audio CD.

rather than burn itunes music to a cd just use an mp4 to mp3 format converter. I use converter lite which is free. Also if you are using music from Amazon which is already in mp3 format I have found it doesn't quite match up with the sequencer except when you play the entire sequence. I ran that through the converter (just convert it to mp3) and it works just fine after that.

• 2 weeks later...

well another way would be to convert the files for example, from mp4 to mp3 or wma or whatever format is supported. i am using audials at the moment, there is even a tutorial on their website on how to convert mp4 to mp3 if you wanna take a look. I would recommend using it..or you know, a similar soft that can do the same.

I convert them all to .wav file now after the issues I had with the variable bit rate MP3 files. I use a free program called Wavosaur. It will convert MP3 to WAV. To convert MP4 to MP3 I use, Format Factory. I think it's free, if it's not, I sure don't remember purchasing it or where it came from lol.

I've been using Goldwave to convert .mp3 to .wav. It's freeware, quick, intuitive and works with XP to Win8 (even tho Win7 & 8 gives Help file error msg.. it still works). Audacity is liked by a lot and will convert just about anything to just about anything..

So any thoughts as to which is better?
MP3 or WAV?

I've got stuff that is strong and stuff that is weak. I've ripped them all at a CBR of 192. I've done this several times, and there's no difference.

I was thinking of converting them to wav files and see if that helps.
It's hard to get a handle on my broadcast settings with all the songs being different levels.

David Rise wrote:

So any thoughts as to which is better?
MP3 or WAV?

I've got stuff that is strong and stuff that is weak. I've ripped them all at a CBR of 192. I've done this several times, and there's no difference.

I was thinking of converting them to wav files and see if that helps.
It's hard to get a handle on my broadcast settings with all the songs being different levels.

You need this software: And the price is right, it's FREE and does batch conversion of volume levels of MP3's from anywhere on your computer!

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/download.php

Download the first file from the list in the above url named: mp3gain-win-1_2_5.exe.

Or you may want the 3rd one down on the list, that is if you need the VBRUN files to make the software operate.

The full version name is: mp3gain-win-full-1_2_5.exe This one includes the VBRUN files required to run the software.

It will allow you to have ALL your MP3 files close to the same volume level. I use it all the time, it works great. Especially for those that use the DC-MP3 Showtime Directors to run their show and an FM Transmitter. Helps to NOT overdrive the FM transmitter by keeping the volume set low enough to not damage the transmitter by overdriving its output.

I use the Track Analysis to see what the MP3 files current volume levels are, then I use the Track Gain option and set it to the desired volume level I want all the MP3 files to be. This program can do every MP3 you have on your computer all at once, takes a while depending on how many files/subfolders you have of MP3's.(and I have thousands of MP3 files and dozens of subfolders by classification or Holiday.

I usually set all my MP3 files to 90.0dB in the 'Target "Normal" Volume: box. (Default is set at 89.0dB). Which is just under the toolbar area, you can't miss it.

NOTE!: Not all MP3's will be exactly at 90.0dB, some will be 88 or 89, but that 1-2dB level difference isn't even noticable!

David Rise wrote:

Ran it on all my audio files when I got home. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

Thanks again.

Just glad I was able to help you with the varying volume issues in MP3 files. Keeps my neighbors happy too because I can turn the volume up louder on my radio tuned to the FM Frequency I use and not overdrive the transmitter and still keep it loud, but low enough not to disturb the neighbors, yet, walkers on the sidewalk can still hear the music.

That program was recommended here in the forums when I started a couple years ago and I've been using it ever since on any new MP3 files I acquire (or old ones I've missed somehow along the way)!

I keep the original MP3 intact and make copies of those used in my show(s), Christmas and Halloween and fine tune the volume with MP3Gain.

Fantastic program and has saved me a lot of headaches with always having to "adjust" the volume on the FM radio. Always hated it when I'd have a lower volume song play, adjust the volume up and then have to turn it WAY down when the next song would play and blast the neighborhood. So MP3Gain has been a great little addition to my LOR collection!

Other programs can do the same thing I have, but I could not do them in a batch process, like I can with MP3Gain, so it not only saved me time, but the sanity of myself having to constantly babysit and adjust the FM Radio volume, as well as the sanity of my neighbors having to put up with LOUD music, then softer music, then back to LOUD during display hours.

Very happy the software has worked out very well for you too.