Light-O-Rama Forums

Want to get started, what do I need?

Guest guest

Well guys, I want to get started with this, but don't know where to start.

I don't want to invest big bucks right now, but just want to add a little twist to my deco (and to show up the neigbors, shhhh)

So I was thinking a simple 16 channel, 15 amp LOR box. What will this enable me to do?

Can someone hold my hand and guide me through this since I am not an electronic nut?

Matt

webejpn01 wrote:

Well guys, I want to get started with this, but don't know where to start.

I don't want to invest big bucks right now, but just want to add a little twist to my deco (and to show up the neigbors, shhhh)

So I was thinking a simple 16 channel, 15 amp LOR box. What will this enable me to do?

Can someone hold my hand and guide me through this since I am not an electronic nut?

Matt

Please don't be offended if I say things that may seem obvious to you ... as I don't know your knowledge level. (and someone may read this in the future that needs this level of help.)

A 16 channel controller would enable you to control 16 different things at one time. You would need to make sure that these 16 things do not go over the amperage rating of the board. (The best way to determine this is to look at the lables on your lights and add the amperages up.) For more information about the controller you can visit the LORWiki.

What effects could you do? Well, you could have your bushes loaded with two colors and change over the colors every so often throughout the night. You could have mini-trees that would chase each other, or fade across the line, etc.

This time of year you will find many people posting their videos and pictures online. You can get some great ideas for your display.

Where you trying to get something done for this season?

I think it might be a little late to get started for this Season, but you can alway start planning for next year.

This is my first year and I started planning back in July. There is a lot of time you have to invest in just understanding how everything works and making some sequences.

If you want to try and do something for this season, I suggest you buy something simple like a "Mr. Christmas Box". There is a thread about this unit at

http://planetchristmas.mywowbb.com/forum13/8925.html

And you can see a video of it by Nesalk at

This is going to be the quickest wasy to get something animiated to music at this point in time for you if you want it to be simple.

All you do is plug in some lights and it is up and running. You can then start doing some more research about LOR and start getting ready for next year.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Yeah, not much will happen this year. Doesent someone make a similar unit like you listed but without the music? Thought I saw one at a local store once. Don't recall the name or make. I think it was greent with color coded plug terminals. Ring any bells?

webejpn01 wrote:

Yeah, not much will happen this year. Doesent someone make a similar unit like you listed but without the music? Thought I saw one at a local store once. Don't recall the name or make. I think it was greent with color coded plug terminals. Ring any bells?

There are a number of light sequencers and chasers available. Some in kit form.
HERE is an 8 channel animated light chaser & controller.
HERE is another web site with chasers & flashers.

Don't dispare... this is my first year with a 16 channel LOR box. I wanted to start small and see how it went. So far... so good! :happytree:

I started in ernest in october and got 3 songs sequenced to 48 channels by Thanksgiving day, granted im on AL but LOR seems very similar to work with. also there are quite a few LOR sequences out there to download for 16 or 32 channels so I would think you could start out , buy the hardware, download some of those sequences you could be up and running yet this season pending the availability of the hardware, i now these guys are slammed this time of year with orders.

-Christopher

I got the same idea last Christmas season and was SO disappointed I couldn't do something then. Well, here I am one year later, 48 channels strong (outside) and am very happy with the start I have made. Very glad I had an entire year to plan it out.