Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequencing - keeping it all straight

ydeardorff

One thing that has become apparent to me, first, the desired display is not what usually one can afford, and if you can afford it, getting your self into 100 plus channels is a daunting task in the sequencer. For those in the know, how does one keep these high channeled displays looking great, and keep things organized in your mind as well as in the sequencer? From my experience in the 501st, and making my own hand made , movie accurate Darth Vader costume, watching the same clips over and over again, can be taxing. I would imagine that working on a display having to listen to the same song 500 or more times before completion would lend itself to near psychotic nightmares. LOL I think it would be cool to add the encounters of the third kind intro to a display when they are talking in tones to the mothership.Then when the mother ship resonds to complete the tones, the whole house lights up.

ydeardorff wrote:

getting your self into 100 plus channels is a daunting task in the sequencer.
For those in the know, how does one keep these high channeled displays looking great, and keep things organized in your mind as well as in the sequencer?

**You take small steps..it's like growing up...the older you get, the more you can handle**

I would imagine that working on a display having to listen to the same song 500 or more times before completion would lend itself to near psychotic nightmares. LOL

**We are a crazy bunch..that's for sure!!! You need to pick songs you enjoy hearing**

I think it would be cool to add the encounters of the third kind intro to a display when they are talking in tones to the mothership.

**I have tried for that past few years...haven't been able to work it into my display though...**

Breaking the whole sequence down into smaller parts works best for me.
First I create multiple Logical Tracks (this is my standard template):

Track 1 - 8 x 4 color mini trees (32 Channels)
Track 2 - 4 x 4 Color objects in my yard (16 Channels)
Track 3 - 4 x 4 color Bushes (16 Channels)
Track 4 - 4 x 4 color Objects on my first floor wall(16 Channels)
Track 5 - 4 x 4 color Objects on my second floor wall(16 Channels)
Viola 96 Channels

Usually I sequence the Mini-trees first. That gives me all the beat timings I need and helps me identify events in the music. I usually take it 16 beats at a time because pop music typically changes every 16 beats. Normally you get 32 beats of phrasing alternating with 32 beats of chorus etc.
After I get the chases for the mini trees sequenced, I typically copy the mini tree tracks to the other tracks and start trying to peice together a cohesive sequence.

I may want to do a color chase that starts at Track 1 through 4 that would have color going from the minitrees up to the second floor.

Since you can move channels around in the tracks pretty easily, sometimes I move them around.

I might position all the objects in 1 Track, from left to right to create a chase.
It also helps to keep a simple map at hand identifying the objects in your display so you have a visual key while sequencing.

Was that confusing?

ydeardorff wrote:

got a video?
of close encounters? No...

but you can see my other videos..link is in my signature...

Redbirdruss wrote:

Breaking the whole sequence down into smaller parts works best for me.
First I create multiple Logical Tracks (this is my standard template):

Track 1 - 8 x 4 color mini trees (32 Channels)
Track 2 - 4 x 4 Color objects in my yard (16 Channels)
Track 3 - 4 x 4 color Bushes (16 Channels)
Track 4 - 4 x 4 color Objects on my first floor wall(16 Channels)
Track 5 - 4 x 4 color Objects on my second floor wall(16 Channels)
Viola 96 Channels
I should have noted I do a similar thing as redbird..but instead of tracks I use the new S3 Groupings...with some sub groups within the main groups. AS I have pretty much everything in my display as four colors (Red, Green Blue, White) I group them by color...makes it easy to do a chase in one color..and if I want more than one color to chase..it's a simple copy and paste.

Mini Trees
Red Minis - 1 thru 9
Green Minis - 1 thru 9
Blue Minis - 1 thru 9
White Minis - 1 thru 9
Mega Arches
White - 1 thru 4
Red - 1 thru 4
Mini Arches
White 1 thru 8
Blue 1 thru 8
Mega Tree
Red Segments 1 thru 10
Green Segments 1 thru 10
Blue Segments 1 thru 10
White Segments 1 thru 10

etc. etc....for all 560 channels...

Great tip Jim. I am planning on investing time in the LOR S3 Total emmersion class next year. I know the tools are there, just need to learn how to use them :D

Cool thanks! I just picked up the TSO album The Lost Christmas Eve. I love it Im gonna start planning as much as I can, till I have the stuff. PS, where do you get the sparkly Blue/White strobe LED's? Ive never seen them for sale, except in a video.

Are there videos on youtube that Im missing. Like video tut's on these groupings, and other basic, and advanced features of the sequencer? That would be great!
When I was making my own game levels for UT2K4 and running my own servers, and gaming clan, video tuts were available, that really help unlock the potential of the user.

ydeardorff wrote:

where do you get the sparkly Blue/White strobe LED's?
don't buy LED Strobes...they are pretty worthless...in my opinion. What you want are the Xenon strobes. CDI sells them, but only by the case.

http://www.creativedisplays.com/siteresources/modules/webstore/scripts/prodList.asp

He may not have them listed, but if you ask Paul he will might order you some Blue ones...he did last year for a bunch of us...