Light-O-Rama Forums

Controller power

minkhill

What does everyone do about the power going to the controller during the down time? Last year I ran the power from a existing outlet and I didnt have to go outside to unplug but this year I will have to go out on the porch to unplug them. Does anybody leave the power connected. I'm not lazy but it's cold outside at 10pm on the other side I dont want to damage the controller.

I keep my on 24/7. The little heat generated buy the components helps keep any moisture from forming inside the cases.

Has worked like a charm for me. So why do you want to go outside again?

Dennis Cherry wrote:

I keep my on 24/7. The little heat generated buy the components helps keep any moisture from forming inside the cases.

Ditto!

OK, So I have a question. I use the mini-MP3 directory to run my show. When the show is done for the night I unplug everything.
So, how do I end the show if I do not unplug.. Will the show stop if I just take out the Memory card?

thanks.

I use a mini director. All of my stuff is plugged into a Timer that I took apart and wired 4 outlets to and then plugged controllers, director, and transmitter to.

I leave mine plugged in. I prefer the explanation that leaving them plugged in helps to prevent moisture buildup instead of calling myself too lazy to unplug them. :P

Frybread wrote:

OK, So I have a question. I use the mini-MP3 directory to run my show. When the show is done for the night I unplug everything.
So, how do I end the show if I do not unplug.. Will the show stop if I just take out the Memory card?

thanks.

The past 4 year using a mini director with a digital timer to start and stop my show. It has the ability to program different times for 7 days and if you have a power failure it remembers the time.

Another item that is also on the timer is the transmitter. This works well as the mini director has a long delay before starting the first sequence and that is enough time for the to start and lock onto the frequency. I use an EDM.

The lights for the tune to sign are also on the timer.

Everything else is on 24/7.

I use the LOR1602MP3. Once it's turned on and set up with a programmed sd card I don't turn it off or really even touch it again till time to take down the display (five weeks later).

If you think you really want to unplug for some reason, you can get a ten dollar remote control plug. I used to use that on my static display every night.

I have most of mine plugged in 24/7. The only one I have on a timer is my Servodog controller. If I leave it plugged in, there servos hold their zero position all day. That causes undue stress on the servos. SO by putting that controller on a timer, it lets the servos go free when the show is off.

That timer also controls my radio sign and blowup Snowman.

Frybread wrote:

Dennis,
The mDM-MP3 is powered by the first (in my case only) controller. So do you plug the controller into the timer?
Both plugs?
Otherwise I am not sure how this works.

Thank You,

There is a jumper inside the mini director that separates it from LOR network power then you use a wall wart on a timer to power the mini director.