Light-O-Rama Forums

THE CHRISTMAS BUNNY!

testraub

Went out front this afternoon and found The Christmas Bunny under my tree! :shock: Just hoping he's not hungry for wires! :P

Tom Straub

Attached files 285807=15826-IMAG0032.JPG

My kids had a pet bunny that seems to like to chew the wires around the house.

One day he bit too hard.

Bye bye bunny.

• 2 weeks later...

The dang critter is back and seems to like it under the tree. Not chewing on wires, just keeping warm, I guess.

Tom Straub

The whole tree is up on bricks. He's not eating wires, so I think I'll let him stay. Besides... He's kinda cute under there. :D

Tom Straub

You do not want a rabbit in your yard! I've had one eating lots of wires, usually in the same places. I have mothballs all over the place, looks like it hailed in my yard. So far, no more rabbit and no more chewed wires.

Technically, I think it a hare, and not a rabbit since it doesn't burrow. Just sits there all day, and leaves when the show starts. Comes back in the morning. According to some website, it's a Eastern Cottentail, and they eat leaves, twig, bark and such in the fall and winter.

Tom Straub

After putting LED strings on my Mega Tree this year I added 12" high chicken wire around the base of all three. So far this year I have not lost a string to the rabbit on the tree. Last year I lost over 20. The good thing is you can get it in green and you can't see it at night.

I have had other damage but it has slowed since I offered them apple as a piece offering.

testraub wrote:

Just sits there all day, and leaves when the show starts.

and apparently doesn't have good etiquette to not watch the show of it's host

You guys have jinxed me with all of this rabbit talk. Last night was the 2nd time watching my display for this year. First time was Thanks Giving night. Anyway noted one of my lit candy canes was not lighting. So, today went out to check the connection, its ok. But a few feet away near the next candy cane I see my wire cut through. And all kinds of half bite teeth marks, then one clean through diagonal cut. Just took off the vampire socket. Installed it on a slightly longer cord and used butt crimps to repair. Tom keep your rabbit on a lease or I am going to have to kill it. :P

I go all out after the rabbits. Saw one getting close to the display so I through a half stick of dynamite at it. All you need is to get within 5 or so feet. shockwave will do the rest. Scared the pebbles out of it.

Attached files 291557=16126-IMAG0406.jpg

When I got home this evening my light show was all dark, checked for power proplem, all ok, then checked my cat5 cable, some critter ( I think it was a rabbit ) had dug a hole and nawed the cat5 cable, replaced cable and lights all ok now. Critter trap has been set.

Earle

• 1 month later...

Well. Finally took down the tree. :) The bunny hasn't been back since :) He never chewed a wire, didn't leave anything but some crushed grass. Left the base there for him, but I guess it gets moved this weekend.

Just a note: DO NOT repeat DO NOT just unscrew a spiral tree pole from the base. It will give you one heck of a rats nest to sort out :shock: :) :X

Tom Straub

testraub wrote:

Just a note: DO NOT repeat DO NOT just unscrew a spiral tree pole from the base. It will give you one heck of a rats nest to sort out :shock: :P :X

learned that one the hard way as well, didnt unscrew my mega pole, but did lay it over on its side, folded the lights in half on top of themselves, and then brought them inside in march of 2011 to ball up and store... guess what... after about 10 strands, took the whole heaping pile (54 remaining strands of 100 count LEDS...) and stuffed them in a 50 gallon trashcan...

p.s. they got untangled in november of 2011 when we started setting up the display!!! grrrrrr... will NEVER do that again!

Since I have several changes planned for the tree this year, he may not have a place to stay :( That may tick him off and then it's going to be "WIRE CHEWING TIME!" :X

Good thing I have The Animal Welfare League of Arlington on my side :)

Tom Straub