Light-O-Rama Forums

Need electrical help

Mwhite7097

After days of constructing a 25' spiral tree, while wiring day I discovered I have 2 light strings backwards from top down. I made an extension wire from controller to strings with 2 male ends. Is this ok? I tried the light strings with direct power and they llit up fine. Just wondering if this will destroy the controller or pop breakers. Thanx

Guest wbottomley

Mwhite7097 wrote:

while wiring day I discovered I have 2 light strings backwards from top down. I made an extension wire from controller to strings with 2 male ends. Is this ok?Thanx

HELL NO!

No questions asked. This is one of the dumbest things a decorator can do.

I absolutely can not get to the top of the tree to reverse the strings, or restring. The 2 wires are single strands. I know the male end can be hot when plugged in. I know this is unsafe and I appreciate all concern and answers. The yard is fenced in and I triple wrapped the wire connection with electrical tape. I was concerned about the controller and would still like to know if this would harm it. I have to brainstorm on how to get new strings on the tree.

You know, I really do not understand why idiots like you ask this question and then when everyone tells you that is it very unsafe. You now decide you are smarter than all of us who you just asked if this would be ok. Sorry if the answer did not fit your likings. Why do you even bother to ask? And when your fuses keep popping or your display burns down to the ground. You can slap your forehead and say "Gee I should have listened to those fine gents that tried to tell me not to do this.

No, I am not going to hold the hand with a total idiot who will not listen to reason and logic. There comes a time to stop coddling a fool.

Max-Paul wrote:

You know, I really do not understand why idiots like you ask this question and then when everyone tells you that is it very unsafe. You now decide you are smarter than all of us who you just asked if this would be ok. Sorry if the answer did not fit your likings. Why do you even bother to ask? And when your fuses keep popping or your display burns down to the ground. You can slap your forehead and say "Gee I should have listened to those fine gents that tried to tell me not to do this.

No, I am not going to hold the hand with a total idiot who will not listen to reason and logic. There comes a time to stop coddling a fool.

That seems a bit harsh, especially when you didn't even have any comment's on this thread.

MWhite, These guys brought up some very valid points that I had not thought of, and yes it could damage the controller if there are no fuses in the light string. Since you have the male end at the top end, there is no danger to people or animals with the male ends exposed up there. Other's may not agree with me but another option is to build your male to male jumper out of an male plug from a different light string so that it will have a fuse or cut off the female end and solder on a male end with a fuse in it. (replace the female end at the end of the season)

Just trying to help you brainstorm, but please keep it safe for not only your viewers but for animals too.

Guest wbottomley

Mwhite7097 wrote:

I absolutely can not get to the top of the tree to reverse the strings, or restring. The 2 wires are single strands. I know the male end can be hot when plugged in. I know this is unsafe and I appreciate all concern and answers. The yard is fenced in and I triple wrapped the wire connection with electrical tape. I was concerned about the controller and would still like to know if this would harm it. I have to brainstorm on how to get new strings on the tree.

Start popping those Triacs on that controller, and you'll change your mind quickly. It will be one of the three options... 1) Expensive, 2) Serious Injury, 3) Death.

Rent a lift, borrow a bucket truck, climb a ladder. There's always an option.

Little harsh bud. I wanted to know if I had harmed my controller. I did not say I was leaving the strings that way. I am trying to come up with a way to get to the top with a hook or rope, or just disconnecting. Them altogether. Your response was completely inappropriate and not at all what is needed here. I will heed the warnings of the pros.

Ok guys, take it easy. Remember the reason for the season. How about just cutting the ends off, swapping them, soldering and heat shrinking the repairs, thus reversing the strings without actually reversing them?

Not sure how you attached your lights at the top, but what about using an expandable pool cleaning pole with some kind of hook on the end to remove and attach the strings right?

Yep going with the bucket truck. My daughter's friend's father is a sign maker and my daughter gave him a buzz. I had never thought of him. He is coming Thurs. Thanks for all your advice (well, most of you.). I wasn't sure if this was kosher, and was concerned I may have messed up the controller while testing. Rest assured, the strings will be changed or eliminated. Thanks again for your help.

Guest wbottomley

Mwhite7097 wrote:

Yep going with the bucket truck. My daughter's friend's father is a sign maker and my daughter gave him a buzz. I had never thought of him. He is coming Thurs. Thanks for all your advice (well, most of you.). I wasn't sure if this was kosher, and was concerned I may have messed up the controller while testing. Rest assured, the strings will be changed or eliminated. Thanks again for your help.

Good deal. Now everyone can put their blood pressure medication away. :P

Kazaas

You know, it really does not matter if I have had any comment before the above ONE. What matters is that what was offered that would leave a live male connector at the top of his tree is just plain stupid. I suppose Kazaas you have not seen all of the joking of Jimswinder about his trees that just have a tendency to fall over. So, now if this gents tree falls over there is the potential to have a few hot male plugs down on ground level. Ever hear of Murphy's law. So, think before jumping me for giving this guy some ragging about a stupid and dangerous idea. There are reasons why we do things a certain way. Even though you might not understand.

I might be harsh, but I might also saved a life or at least spoke up. Better than you "your good to go dude".

Max

I think Kzaas was more incensed by your use of "stupid" and "total idiot", as was I. It was harsh! These forums are places for people to ask the "stupid" question now and then. I have 128 channels and probably 200 electrical connections. Of those, two were improperly installed (of course on the highest and hardest to fix). I knew it wasn't proper and wouldn't have asked if I thought otherwise but was hoping I didn't harm a controller testing this way. I always defer to those who know better than I but would not chew out or use offensive words to someone who asked a question that I may know about. Other responders answered without a condescending or insulting manner. Your reply wasn't even an answer, just a chewing out. Please be a little more nicer if you should respond to other questions. So relax, have a decaf, enjoy the holidays, and rest easy. The strings are already fixed.

Just make two SPT extension cords and run them from the top down.

If you can't get up there, find someone with a bucket trunk to do it for you.

In the Blue Angles' maintenance hanger (Pensacola, Fl) there was this on the wall ...

"If there is any doubt, then there is NO doubt."

Thanks Scott. Yep did find someone with a bucket truck. Well my daughter did for me. I ended up running 2 new strings as the reversed strings were all zip tied to the spirals. When the tree comes down at the end of the season, I can switch out the strings. Being this my second year, there is ALWAYS doubt. hehe

Balance can be difficult to find. More than a few times a year, we get rather tentative questions, asking if something really unsafe is OK. And the further the thread goes, the more it is clear that all they want to hear is agreement that it is OK, so that they can diffuse the blame & guilt if something does go wrong.

I'm sorry, in this day and age, if something is unsafe, it is not safe to say otherwise on the internet. When something goes wrong, it may be found, and used in trial, and you, the friendly voice on the internet can be in just as much hot water as the guy who actually did it.

The people looking for agreement that dangerous things are OK usually take harsh words to wake them up to the real risks, and get them to pay attention.

Is it better to play nice, and that everyone is a winner, and risk people thinking our polite disagreement is OK to live with, or over react before it is clear that someone is not listening to the dangers presented?

As to the controllers, yes, it can damage them. It can kill the triacs, blow fuses, and other fun effects. Will it? It depends on what exactly happened up top when things were live. The real answer, is does your controller work now? Can there be latent damage that shows up later? Possibly, but it appears to be rather unlikely.

Glad you got it fixed safely.

This is from the CPSC. "Annually, during the two months surrounding the holiday season, more than 14,000 people are treated in hospital emergency rooms due to injuries related to holiday decorating."