Light-O-Rama Forums

Virtual Machine

Guest guest

Some people have several PC PC's running shows at the same time.

The VM software is free from VMware and Microsoft. It allows you to back-up your entire machine and that back-up can be installed and work on any computer.

If I recall the LOR license agreement correctly, LOR is licensed per computer so you if you run VMs no need to purchase multiple version of LOR software. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this.

I have LOR running in 3 VMs and it's been working perfectly.

The first VM I use one to develop and edit sequences.

The second VM is to test the sequences live to get the full effect. If I need to edit I go back to VM 1 make a change and see the result on VM 2.

Once I like what I see I run the show from VM3.

If there's a hardware failre all I have to do is copy 3 VM files to a new machine (requardless of hardware) and I'm up and running.

The nice thing about editing this way is that in VM 1 I can have the mouse at an event while I play the sequense in VM 2. Just makes editing go so much faster.

I have LOR running on a vm. I run Linux as my main box and run a Windows XP as a VM. Works great! One thing is you have to get the vmware workstation not server because server dosent support sound cards...

Keith

Interesting. I never considering doing something like that before.

I use 2 PCs. It's exactly the same, one for development, one for the live system. If either goes down, I have a full backup of LOR on each, so either can do both roles on demand. I may have to try out your idea. Doing both on the same PC sounds like it could reduce a few of the headaches 2 pcs causes.

The other thing I discovered is to use two or three 21" wide screen monitors. Fry's has been selling them for around $300. What a difference this makes. I can see so much screen real estate I can see what's going on.

If you are using Windows 98/2000/XP all you need to do is plug in additional vidoe cards or if you computer has DVI and VGA port just plug in and extend the desktop.

It is that easy.

Multiple monitors and VMs is the way to go.

If you have any questions about doing either I would be happy to answer them for you.

Depending on which VM technology you are using, you may have trouble controlling lights in a guest OS. You will need to map the host serial port for LOR to the guest machine, and that is sometime dicey, especially for realtime communications.

Dave