Light-O-Rama Forums

Wally World LEDS

djvivid21

Assuming you've checked the channel on the LOR controller with another string of lights that does work? Double check the intensity on the channel is at 100% via hardware utility. Only other thought I have is to try a "snubber" - in the same channel, plug in a regular string of lights plus your LED lights. If that works, at least you'll understand the problem (which I think someone described as a resistor or capacitance issue?).

If they work in an outlet, then the problem is with controller not setup right. I have plenty of walmart leds and work fine, with a snubber, it's even better.

One thing I found out with a couple LED strings this year that I thought interesting was if they were plugged in differently, just flip the male plug around, they would not light up in the controller, even if at 100%, flipped the plug and it they lit up, faded and did everything else just fine (no snubbers) and I think the ones I was using were also Wal-Mart LED strings.

So you might want to try that if from the controller outlet channel you're using or you may have a bad triac and that channel may not be working. Did you try it with any other lights or an incandescent string or lighted item like a Blowmold, a window candle that uses a C7 bulb or even a nightlight to verify the channel was definitely getting power?

Just some things to try and see if the LED string or the controller/controller channel may be the issue.

djvivid21 wrote:

Flipping it around worked! Weird. Thanks!

I have no idea what it is with Wal-Mart LED strings, but it seems to be pretty common with them. You'd think they would work like any other string since there male plug IS NOT polarized (one blade larger than the other one) and only go in one way, but for some odd reason, you flip the male plug and the string works. It is most odd.

So with those I use a silver sharper and color the side that makes the string work, and goes into the controller plugs larger polarized side. That way I always know that string can only work one way, the other way it won't light. Of course this makes it interesting when you plug them into other LED strings that don't have this "preference" or an extension cord, but as long as you keep the male plug lined up where it works and have the larger hole side marked on the strings male plug, shouldn't be any issues unless someone re-wired the extension cord.