Light-O-Rama Forums

VoiceOver show startup.

harrison0550

Does anyone have just a short intro VoiceOver along the lines of.

"please respect the neighbors and not block their driveways"
Or
"please don't feed the monkeys or pee on the bushes"

:)
Mainly just the first one though. I've tried recording half a dozen and they all sound horrible to me. I'm thinking it may sound best coming from a kids voice but mines only 2 years old and I can hardly understand her.

If you're looking to improve the sound of your voice, record the announcements standing up. You might even try standing straight and squeezing your butt cheeks together (seriously) while you're doing it. Speak words that are comfortable for you - don't read a script.

Most of us already have a voiceover saying exactly what you want one to say. We either do it ourselves or have Kevin, aka the Dememted Elf, do them for us.

You can listen to mine here. http://bumble-radio.weebly.com/radio-bumpers.html

Here are some tips for using Audacity.

1-Record your voice over using a good quality mic. I tried a cheep one and it sounded poor, so I borrowed one from a friend in a band. It made a big difference.

2-After recording your voice over, use the noise removal tool to take out any pops or background noise.

3-Import background music (if you want). Select the portion you want to use and trim to length. Don't forget to use the fade in and fade out tool.

4-Use the envelope tool to lower the background music during the actual voice over.

5-If you don't like the sound of your voice, you can play with the speed and tempo to sound like an elf.

I just put two links on my 'Equipment, Tools, Tips and How To's" page (of my website) for tutorials on how to make Voice-overs using Audacity. I have a third tutorial, but due to upload volume with vimeo I have to wait to put the third video up.

If you don't like the sound of your own voice, do you have a friend or neighbor that has a well spoken voice that you could ask or bribe to help?
I don't have a transmitter yet(it's first on the list next year)but I have looked into The Demented Elf's work and I like his style and his prices are reasonable and he does have sales on his work during the year.

Cant reco Kevin's work highly enough!!! I have used him for 3 years now...he provides bumper drops for the start and end of my show as well as several "funny" and informative drops sprinkled throughout the show itself! He also recorded several ad spots that play when the show is not running and I am just broadcasting my 24/7 Xmas music radio station....

For the nominal price, he will work with you to tweak and change things to get them just right...he will also work with you next year to tweak things that change (i.e. light count increases and channel counts going up)...he will even give you a bundle discount on Halloween & Xmas...

LAstly, he is also the voice of my time and temp drops that play at various times inbetween songs when the radio is broadcasting...again, just adds a polished and professional touch!

I agree that one can always ask a friend. And, I do agree that the Demented Elf makes great voice-overs.

I just wanted to try my hand at it. After hearing my voice-over, my wife and daughter wanted to become elfs too. So now the whole family is involved in the process.

Also, when my neighbors ask, "Who did you get to do the character voice". I tell them, "Ah, that's me" (or my wife, or my daughter).

I have also done last minute voice-overs when I know certain family or friends will be in town. Usually something along the lines of, "106.7 FM Bumble Radio welcomes our special guest(s) tonight, The Philips Family".

Thank you so much Brad! I will be using Kevin next year but have spent far to much already on this years show. Lights on is Friday night, wish me luck.

I also use kevin aka demented elf and would highly recommend him. I think he has some freebie demos on his site you should check them out

Just wanted to bump this for anyone who needs voiceover work for this year or thinking about it for next. Kevin came through for me again this year. Can't recommend him high enough.

J.