Light-O-Rama Forums

Timing is off between the Visualizer and the Actual Show

imacericg

I have been obsessing over accurate timing in the Sequence Editor. It looks perfect in the Visualizer, then when I walk outside I see the lights are a little slow.

Is this normal? Should I just adjust the timing based on what I am seeing outside?

So long as the timing is off by the same amount throughout the show, it is normal. In fact, several pro's on here recommend adjusting the timing slightly forward regardless. I haven't done it myself but I've read that it makes the show feel "snappier".

In terms of 'latency', the visualizer can be faster than the actual hardware. That's because the data doesn't have to travel far for the Vis (typically it's on the same computer), while transmitting out to controllers means hitting the wire.

I realize that we are talking about speeds close to the speed of light, however it is remotely possible that you can introduce enough lag on an RS485 network that you could see it.

I'm not a SE or hardware guru, but there is an option to turn 'up' the speed of your LOR network. It's Edit/Preferences/Network Preferences. There you can change the speed from 'Slow' or 'Average' to 'Fast'.

However, please remember that transmitting at a faster speed may introduce new problems. Physically 'long' networks, or cables/connections that are marginal may not work well at higher speeds and introduce errors to the data.