Light-O-Rama Forums

D-Light

gerald sundberg

When I first got started in animated lighting I bought a D-Light kit,but when I saw the lor program,I went with lor instead. Now I'm wanting to use the D-Light kit but the Hardware Utility won't reconize it. What needs to be done or can't it be done?

Your brother in Christ Jerry

JBullard wrote:

The d-light board has to have a d-light supplied RS485 adapter to address the board in the d-light (NOT LOR) Hardware Utility

Just for clarification.:cool:

Okay I have the RS485 adapter, how do I use it? Do I run a seperate cat5 from the adapter to the D-Light unit? On the other end it has a small 5 pin female outlet. Where does it go to?

Your brother in Christ Jerry

I think there are two discussions taking place here. One is talking about how you would manipulate the address or behavior of your D-Light board and the other is using it in your display.

First, if you want to change the address or some other attribute of the D-Light board you would need to use the adapter you got from D-Light and use the D-Light utility. I believe the adapter is a USB to RJ45 so you plug in the USB to your computer and a CAT5 cable to the adapter and the board. Now use the D-Light utility to set the board to the address/unit id you want it to be.

To use the board in the display you would need to plug it into your LOR network. When the board is on the network if you do a scan of the devices, the Hardware Utility will not be able to identify the D-Light unit. The device was built and programmed by D-Light and is incapable of properly responding to the LOR Hardware Utility when it queries the devices.

So in short, to change the address of the controller you must use the D-Light adapter and the D-Light utility. To use it in your show, plug it into the LOR network and don't expect it to properly respond to the LOR hardware utility. (It isn't LOR hardware.)

basis21b wrote:

I think there are two discussions taking place here. One is talking about how you would manipulate the address or behavior of your D-Light board and the other is using it in your display.

First, if you want to change the address or some other attribute of the D-Light board you would need to use the adapter you got from D-Light and use the D-Light utility. I believe the adapter is a USB to RJ45 so you plug in the USB to your computer and a CAT5 cable to the adapter and the board. Now use the D-Light utility to set the board to the address/unit id you want it to be.

To use the board in the display you would need to plug it into your LOR network. When the board is on the network if you do a scan of the devices, the Hardware Utility will not be able to identify the D-Light unit. The device was built and programmed by D-Light and is incapable of properly responding to the LOR Hardware Utility when it queries the devices.

So in short, to change the address of the controller you must use the D-Light adapter and the D-Light utility. To use it in your show, plug it into the LOR network and don't expect it to properly respond to the LOR hardware utility. (It isn't LOR hardware.)

Also when adding the D-light board (controller) to your LOR channel configuration the "device type" you set for it (d-light controller) is "Light-O-Rama Controller".