Light-O-Rama Forums

Ramsey 25B/MP3 director

Guest guest

I am using the Ramsey 25B and have noticed that the bass is distorted, the highs and mids sound great but the lows are distorted. I have it mounted in the same PVC enclosure as the MP3 show director there is nothing else mounted in the enclosure but these two items. My sound levels (R27-R28)are set at about 20-25% (I lowered them from the factory settings of 50%) and I checked my voltage at TP1 and it is 9.185 volts. The strange thing about this is when I hook the 25B to my computer it sounds fine but when it is hooked to the MP3 the lows are distorted??? I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem or if anyone has any advice.

Thanks

It may actually be the audio being set to the Transmitter.

I used the THX opening for my Halloween show and noticed the audio was distorted mostly at the last surge of music.

Loading the MP3 file into a program like MP3gain showed the file being clipped. I adjusted the gain down to 85db and everything sounded much better.

Looking at the audio level in Audacity showed there were large periods where the audio level was over 85%.

My guess is the FM25 does not have enough power to sustain longer periods of loud music.

As a note, connecting a headphone to the output of the MP3 controller before I adjusted the audio was clear... it was only distorted out of the FM Transmitter.

Hope this helps.

Walt

wbaker4 wrote:

It may actually be the audio being set to the Transmitter.
Yes, it is the audio level that is giving the issues identified above.

Loading the MP3 file into a program like MP3gain showed the file being clipped. I adjusted the gain down to 85db and everything sounded much better.
I use mp3 gain as well, and it works like a charm for my LOR mp3 player output!

My guess is the FM25 does not have enough power to sustain longer periods of loud music.
Actually, its audio section is fairly good for a consumer model. Mine plays 24/7, with full (non-clipped) output. I runs OTSDJ during the non-display hours on my pc. That ends at 5pm when my mp3 player is powered up. The mp3 unit runs until 11pm, and then it switches back. The audio out of the mp3 player and the pc are matched going into the Ramsey, so they sound almost the same (OTSDJ has processing built in that makes the mp3 audio sound a bit 'flat" in comparison but it still sounds great.. you have to hear one then the other immediately after to appreciate the difference!)
Greg